No comparison Big 10 vs SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by emry123, Dec 9, 2007.

1. emry123

emry123 Founding Member

If you put OSU in the SEC they will be worn down and beaten several times a year. Try playing LSU one week then head down to Florida and maybe cruise on up to Georgia....then over to Auburn and follow that up with Tennessee...It is highly unlikely you will make it through without a loss year in and year out. The Big 10 is the Big 2 and now the Big 1. It is EASY to play cream puffs all year and then have one or two big games at most. Easy road to a national championship. Please enlighten me who is in the Big 10 that is a powerhouse? Do you remember what Florida did to OSU last year? It was like watching a high school team get beat up by a college team. There is a reason OSU is 0-8 vs SEC in bowl games. Talk about the past all you want you do NOT play in a conference of the caliber and level of the SEC and everyone in the country knows the best football is in the SEC. All the announcers and "experts" express the same thing year in and year out.

2. jwinslow

jwinslow Founding Member

3. MrCodeDude

MrCodeDude Founding Member

I don't think anyone is arguing that the SEC is by far the strongest conference, this year. Has it always be this way? No. Will it always be this way? No.

Do you remember a couple years back when the NL West sent a team that was barely +.500 to the Playoffs? And that is the MLB, probably the league with the strictest playoffs (8 team playoff instead of 12/16). Conferences, divisions, etc. have off years.

With college, there's less parity because the only way to acquire talent is to refine your current and recruited players. There is no "quick fix" and thus you see years like this, where most of the conference is in a rebuilding year.

Rest assured, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Penn State will return as national powers. Just look at last year's bowl record between the SEC and the B10, the B10 went 2-1 against the SEC. Granted, both elite teams from the B10 (Ohio State and Michigan) were thumped in their bowl games, but to say that the Big 10 is devoid of talent is pure ignorance.

Many Big 10 teams try to compensate for a possible weak conference by scheduling OOC games against top tier opponents. We had a home-home against former National Champions Texas, this year we had Washington (who was a national power when the game was scheduled), next year a home-home against USC and in future years Miami and VT.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I feel like I've read this somewhere before. Oh yeah, here.

No need to start a thread with something you already posted. :dis:

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

I think I just read that Iowa and Wisconsin was a national power :huh:

and, ummm, was that Washington home and home scheduled in the early 90s???

6. MrCodeDude

MrCodeDude Founding Member

It was scheduled the same year Washington won the Rose Bowl, 2000-2001 season I think.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

A loss??? Try multiple losses. I figured LSU would take 2 to 4 losses this year. Looking at the old posts on here, I saw that a decent number of folks on here predicted that we would take at most 1 loss this year. That's just insane.

At the beginning of this season, of all the preseason first place votes in the AP and USA Today polls, 9 went to Florida and 6 went to LSU. Florida went 5-3 in the SEC this year. Have any of y'all lost respect for Florida's program?

8. Bayou Bengal11

thx for settin me straight :thumb:

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The SEC was 1-2 against the Big 10 last year.

As far as their schedule, I'd posted this the other day:
    http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/1993_arc
    hive_computer_rankings.html

Here's a link you may be interested in:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/RossDillon/2007/11/03/Big_10_vs_SEC_Revisited

Who cares, anyway? As long as LSU is the best in the country, or even in the top 5, screw the others.

10. Bayou Bengal11

well, considering this is the 1st time a 2 loss team has made the NCG....we might want to figure out how to get thru this deal with only 1 loss in the future.

IMO, its hard but doable...and I thought we had a chance at doing it this year. Either one of our losses could've easily been wins. If you would have asked me to pick our 2 losses at the begging of the season...those wouldn't have been them. I think we won all the games we were suppose to lose....dunno