No LSU Spring Football Game?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 5, 2005.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I devoured the Cox Sports coverage of the LSU Spring Game...Each time it came on, I watched it every chance I got...No one watches to see who will win or lose...People watch it because it's a chance to support LSU. Much like the recruiting bash. I mean, what are you seeing there? Yet thousands turn out to support it. Tiger Wins says it's silly if you can't get tens of thousands out there....Well, why do we still have the Bash? For that matter, why do we still have a men's basketball team for that matter?

$80,000 from ticket sales alone could be realized via the Spring Game (8,000 people x $10 per ticket). Forget about the thousands generated by sales of souvenirs, or the tens of thousands generated by concessions sales. Or the advertising that could be put into place to support it, which is tens of thousands.

Beyond that, forget about the fans that would travel in from out of town to infuse dollars into the surrounding community in places like The Chimes, hotels, and local watering holes like The Pastimes Lounge for pizza and beer afterwards...

Let's forget the possibility of hundreds of thousands that the Spring Game could generate for the Baton Rouge Community, the fan interest in the game, and the chance to see players perform in a game like atmosphere...Forget it...

You guys are right...

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU can make 100,000 dollars on a spring game easy with tickets, concessions, and Tiger Gift Center sales. My guess is that Skip will make it happen. Les has to get used to the big time. We are the people who pay his salary.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hoped this thread would be interesting, but now i wish i had never perused it.

4. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

The Tigers played their 1975 Spring Game at Memorial Stadium because work was being done on the field at Tiger Stadium.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I was kind of puzzled about this thread to begin with because another poster on my local Dawg forum listed all of the SEC spring practice schedules and spring game dates.

It was noted that LSU practice sessions would start on March 11 and the LSU Spring Game was tentatively scheduled for April 16th in Lafayette at the UL-L field.

This info was posted on February 6th so maybe it just depends on whether the terms with UL-L have been agreed upon or not.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Wow, have not heard that. Can't believe that would go over well with some LSU fans considering how much we dislike ULL.

7. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I'm not familiar with how well the fans get along or not, but it does makes sense since it amounts to only about an hour drive right down the interstate. And I suspect that the stadium can easily hold the 20,000 fans that could show up. I'm sure that the parking situation wouldn't be all that bad either.

I can think of much worse options than going to Lafayette for a day.

And Saban Fan can ride his bicycle from Breaux Bridge... :hihi:

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

That'd be great if it was in Lafayette. Makes for a slightly shorter drive from Houston.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I haven't seen that posted anywhere on the internet, so it's a surprise to me. Many fans would love that.

10. burnline1

burnline1 Freshman

Geesh, can you imagine the gasket that Blanco would blow having LSU play a Spring Game On ULL's home turf! Somehow I don't see this senerio going over too well with the ULL alumni, but I've seen stranger things happen....you nver know.