No picks from Oregon?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Just something I noticed......looking at several of the mock drafts that are floating around, I haven't seen a single Oregon player being picked in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. You would think a team that played in the Natl Championship Game and who is losing a good number of seniors would have some early round guys.

I wonder if that says something about the type of players that Oregon has? They are become a more legitimate recruiting power, but maybe the players they pick or something about them in general doesn't translate well to the NFL.

Of course, their star Juniors didn't leave early, so maybe they would have been higher.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

They're not really losing many Seniors, IIRC. Their best players are all underclassmen as they are a very young team.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Maybe it's the scheme that wins games more than the abilities of the individual players. The sum of the parts greater than the individual players. Because of the teamwork lesser players are able to surpass what their personal ranking's are. My guess.

4. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

You could make a case that's a good thing. The players are on a good team and there's not a player you can key in on if they are all solid. You could also say that maybe the coach can recognize and develop talent that is under-recruited.

5. GoDucks349

GoDucks349 Veteran Member

I'd agree, it's strange for Oregon not to have guys in the top three rounds. No real senior stars on last years team that would get a 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm not sure if it's the "spread" offense or what. But given the focus on speed, I think Oregon tends to be smaller than teams that run traditional pro offenses. Offensive linemen have to be able to get out and move and do it for a full game at high speed.

As for the defense, we've on occasions had some great NFL guys like Haloti Ngata, Igor Olshansk, Casey Mathews and some pretty good dbacks but we've never been a big source for the NFL. At one time NFL scouts use to just say, give me an Oregon TE or they'd discribe someone as an "Oregon" style TE. But I think that's sort of gone away a bit with the spread offense.

I guess like you guys, I'm not sure. I mean if you really look at it, the RBs for example are pretty small and just may not be big enough to take NFL typ pounding. Not a lot of Jonathan Stewarts in the Oregon roster right now.

I think Oregon currently has about half as many NFL players as LSU. Something like 30 to 60 or close to that.

6. BGTiger

BGTiger Founding Member

7. GoDucks349

GoDucks349 Veteran Member