No room at the Inn....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by AT, Sep 23, 2003.

1. AT

AT Freshman

call it an embarrassement of riches, but if a player dosen't have a
    spot on the 2 deep at the end of open week, then he may well be staring for Southern or McNeese next season.

For instance, Keron Gordon, our best DB signee, 2 years ago, can't even find a spot on the 2 deep at CB. Had others not already transferred, he might not be on the 2 deep at safety and is in danger(small for a safety) of getting beaten out by incoming Johnson and our FB's brother who I'm told is on his way from Rummel.

Get out your program. This is true at every position where some upper classmen is in danger of being beaten out by a younger player and falling out of the 2 deep.

Go ahead, get out your program and check the depth chart and see if you can point out the battles during open week.

This is no slight meant toward gordon or anyone else, it's just an emabarrassement of riches.

Certainly, no receiver can afford to drop balls at wideout and expect to stay in the 3 depp, or even 4 deep with Bowe and davis waiting in the wings-not to mention an injured Amp Hill and an Early Doucet that we can't talk about early. LOL!

2. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Just because Keron Gordan wouldn't autograph your hospital bracelet is no reason to make him leave LSU and play at McNeese or Southern.

I agree, LSU will have 3-4 changes in their lineup come Oct. 11. Who do you see missing on offense? #17 must catch at least one or two balls this weekend or he will no longer be the #4 receiver.

I also look for Jemarcus Russell to see a few plays at corner. Just kidding but we might see Barrington play some this weekend. If he doesn't see the field you can throw a shirt on him.

AT, give me a call later. It's about the Benson-Saban thingy.

CFISH

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Sounds like a good problem to have. I agree about #17. I dont think he will ever be anything more than a track star (though, a good one, at that). He just wasnt built for football and doesnt have the hands.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A couple of injuries and third stringers can be starting next week (remember Clausen and Daniels last year). Players flunk out every semester. Saban will swap out 2 or 4 assistants this winter and your new position coach may like you better than the coach you've got today. The seniors will disappear in a couple of months. The DB in front of you may just up and quit the team (remember last year).

Being a 3rd string sophomore on a top-10 Division 1 team beats starting at McNeese any way you stack it, IMHO

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

For anyone following LSU football for any length of time . . . this is a good problem to have. Our program is building, and as it grows players will rather be 3rd string at LSU than starting somewhere much smaller in state. All kinds of things can happen to adjust lineups and playtime.

Like Neb, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Okla, etc . . . LSU is becoming that school that players want to play for, even if that means sitting the bench a few years or waiting their turn.