No U.S. Open Thread?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Jun 17, 2017.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You are missing the point. Phil has never done well at the US Open. He could maybe win another Masters at his age, maybe a British, but he knew he wasn't going to even be in contention much less win it.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He was in the lead one year when he gambled and ended up hitting his ball into a parking lot. My point is that a graduation is too trivial an event to miss out on one of the few remaining chances he has to compete for one of God's greatest prizes.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

He's telling you the graduation was an excuse.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Phil's a gambler. I don't think he would have made an excuse.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I, for one, would never miss my child's graduation.

6. shane0911

Wrong vice

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

His net worth is well over 350 million now. I suspect he's getting close to 400 million. The entire purse for the US Open this year is less than 5% of his net worth. But, there's more to this story than just a graduation, or seeing her walking down the aisle.

@Bengal B I don't know if you know this; I'm doubting you do. For the longest time Phil and Amy didn't think they were going to be able to even have any children. His first child, the one that just graduated, was a surprise. Heck, it was during the Open weekend when he was paired with Payne Stewart on the final day that she was born. Considering the struggles they had been through they really look at her as a blessing from above.

A few years ago he almost missed a tee time attending her eight grade graduation. I"m sure that played a huge part in his decision to skip this tournament.

You might remember he almost lost Amy a few years ago with breast cancer. He almost lost her when she gave birth to their son (almost lost him as well.) Health issues have plagued that family to a far greater extent than the commercials you see on TV when he's the spokesperson for Enbrel.

I'm sure he still did. I'm not a Phil fan but I do respect the man for the way he handles his family life.

That's simply not true, Shane. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the final pairing when the daughter we're speaking of was born. That was one of the six times he's been runner-up in the Open.

KyleK likes this.
  8. shane0911

Well, he never won it. Besides he probably had a "party" to attend

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

True. Far cry from "never doing well at the Open."
    Faldo, Price, Singh, Norman...how many can we name that have won majors, but never won the US Open? Now that I'm thinking about it...we had Duvall on TGC and he's never won the US Open, but has a major. We had Zinger on Fox...same scenario with him as I recall.

Phil has done well in the US Open when he's kept his driver in his bag and stuck with his 3W off the tee.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

He didn't play because he was busy writing Bones resignation letter.