no worries at QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Jul 20, 2004.

1. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

BCS champion quarterbacks
    Tenn- Tee Martin
    FSU-Chris Weinkie
    OU- Josh Heupel sp?
    Miami- Ken Dorsey
    Ohio St.- Craig Krenzel
    LSU- Matt Macuk

whats one thing all the bcs champions have in common a great defense, and not a good but a clutch quarterback, guys who wont lose the game but will make all the throws and reads needed to win the game, i dont think we should worry over marcus randall, as long as he doest "...Randall stops, throws it as far as he can..." every time no one is open we 'll be fine against oregon state, speaking of Sep 4th, are we there yet?

2. max

max Founding Member

I had already thought of that but is Randall that kind of quarterback. Other than the Kentucky game, I would say 'no' based on the 2002 and 2003 season and the only reason the Kentucky game was so close was because Randall played so poorly as I remember.

3. SEN

SEN Founding Member

I recall the Arkansasgameas a game Randall put us in a position to win. I recall the Ole Miss gameas agame Randall won. I recall the South Carolina game as a game Randall won. Why do you choose to focus on the Auburn and Alabama games when critiquing Randall? Randall was not the only flaw in the Tigers' collective armour on those days. As I recall those were games in which LSU got beat as a team.

I remember Randall'splay in the first half of the Cotton Bowl and in the first 55 minutes of that game in Little Rock and I smile when I think of the possibilities for this season. Randall is NOT a liability.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I also remember not knowing if Mauck was that kind of QB before last season. Some fans just can't understand that players do actually improve from one year to the next!

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Let's see, Randall's 2002 performance was 2 years ago, when he was much more immature and a soph., his being a senior should not help him at all?!

Hell, he can't play much worse than Mauck did in the Sugar Bowl with those 3 turnovers and we still won a national championship with him.

6. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I will pull for whoever steps in at the position (any for that matter). I think by now Coach Saban and Jimbo kind of know what they are doing and can make a call on who the starter is........... :thumb:

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I think we just need to sit back and watch what Marcus Randall can do as a
    senior. The thing to remember is that he doesn't need to be spectacular...all he's got to do is run the offense, and keep the mistakes to a minimum, and the defense will keep winning it for us. And if he can't handle
    this simple task, there are two very capable backups waiting in the wings.

8. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I agree

I said this last season, do you know how many 2 yard passes Mauck threw? We act like he was Johnny Unitas but he made a ton of bubble screen passes and 10 yard outs. Several went for TD's. If Randall can't complete 10 yard outs and bubble screens, Russell or Flynn will so we'll be fine. If our D is as capable as last year (and it may be better) Randall or Russell or whomever plays will have the time to come around to win games for us.

Like someone else said above, sure our QB play contributed to the Auburn and Bama losses two years ago, but I remember Bama running continuous sprint draw plays on us for 200 yards that night.........

9. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I feel the same as last year going in to the season at the QB spot, but I won't assume MR will be more efficient and consistant just because he will be a senior. He must be a leader and someone the team has confidence in or he will be yanked, early.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

This isn't a knock on Randall, but what makes him so clutch?