no worries at QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I'm not sure if the Cotton Bowl is such a good example. If I recall Randall didn't score in the first half of the game. I remember getting very frustrated because our defense was playing very well and stopping UT on offense, but Randall couldn't capitolize on his offensive opportunities.

2. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

You know I wish Marcus Randall all the best and hope he has significantly improved, I really do. Undoubtedly, no matter how good or bad the quarterback is this season, LSU will still have a good season because of the strength of the rest of the team. But is everyone really content by consoling themselves with well we don’t need a star at quarterback, all we need is for someone to play like Mauck did who is capable of playing without making too many mistakes and costing us games? I mean what would everyone prefer to watch: a star that is capable of making spectacular plays that win football games or a mediocre quarterback who fortunately doesn’t make too many mistakes that cost our team too many games?

And is everyone also content with having to go with two new inexperienced starting quarterbacks for the next two seasons in a row while LSU is loaded to the hilt at every other position? Would LSU be better off in the long run letting Randall be the quarterback this season, because he has paid his dues and has always been a loyal tiger, or would LSU be better off in the long run sacrificing Randall’s senior season by letting the new quarterbacks get their baptisms under fire and gaining valuable experience in order to get them ready for next season and another run for the MNC?

Will Florida be better off because they made the decision for better or worst to play Chris Leak last year?

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

That's the way I've always felt about the situation as well, but everyone seems to jump on anyone who even suggests that we get the Freshman QB's feet wet so we won't have to start unexperience QBs two years in a row. Besides, with as much room for error as a quarterback has on this team, I don't think it's a bad situation for a freshman to learn the ropes.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

This is what kills me (or would kill me if I actually gave a crap about Texas football): Mack Brown has a terrible feel for QBs, and he doesn't seem to understand the "the best college QB is not necessarily the most athletically gifted QB" concept.

Not a doubt in my mind that they beat Colorado and play for the National Championship had he started Major Applewhite over Chris Simms in the 2001 Big XII Champ. game. So what if Chris Simms will be a good NFL QB (and he will) and Major had no future beyond college; for whatever reason, Major had "it"--the charisma that inspires teammates to play at their very best, the comfort with and mastery of the offense that makes that group of 11 really go.

Good coaches---championship coaches---understand and appreciate this distinction. Brian Griese likely couldn't carry Tom Brady's jock athletically---Griese was a freshman walk-on, for crying out loud--- but the kid got the job done.

It's not rocket science, but to a certain coach in Austin, you'd think it was.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Everybody seems to think that Nick must choose between an experienced QB or a talented but green QB. I think he has both and will use both. He will play the senior quarterback, who will run the offense that is designed for him. He will also play the freshmen quarterbacks regularly in situations suitable for them, so that he will not have to start a green QB next season or if the starter goes down with a season-ending injury, as has happened to our last two starting quarterbacks.

I think Nick will play all three quarterbacks and all five running backs. not in a regular rotation, but as circumstances dictate. It should be great fun. We are very deep in talent at LSU this year and we have a difficult road schedule facing us. But we will be able to consistently put in fresh players at key positions in the 2nd half this year because of our depth.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Fans who aren't willing to give Randall a chance to prove himself in 2004 are likely the same ones questioning Mauck this time last year.

He's two years removed from his last starting gig. Let's see what progress he's made before judging him. Looks like OSU's defense will be a good initial test for him, so we'll see soon enough.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

My concern is not with Marcus Randell's ability, it's with the fact that if this is Randell's year, then next year we will be in the same boat again. I'd rather have one year of breaking in a new quarterback than to have 2 years in a row.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

IMO, if Mat Mauck had played with the same defense that supported Randall in 2002, Mauck would have been listed in the same category as Jamie Howard and Josh Booty. The defense in 2003 saved him in the Ole Miss game, the first Georgia game, and the Sugar Bowl game. Those or games that I remember. The defense couldn't save him in the Florida game, although they played well enough to win, if we had scored some points.
    Mauck said it right in the Sugar Bowl interview. "I just get the ball in the hands of talented guys who can make plays." I'm paraphrasing but that is close.

10. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I have an idea, let the coaches decide who the best man for the job is, instead of saying this crap about breaking in a QB. Did you see the way Usucks QB did last year in his first year, granted it was in the weak 10 but he still did well. He mopped up for Palmer the year before. Marcus seems to be the man for the job, if not Saban will pull him. Otherwise, the other two will get time in mopup, and will learn the offense and won't be green. Chris Leak would have done much better with a better oline and a better defense. He is that good, and if he had others around him they might have been who we faced in Atlanta instead of Georgia. We have great players around the qb position and will help them along. I believe Jamarcus will be great, and it will only add to the talent we have around them. Marcus Randall will do fine, for all we know, he has a breakout year and makes a bid for the Heisman. Not to bash on ya'll but i think that bashing on these kids cause they didn't do well a few years ago is horrible. And I am betting that Saban knows more about them then we do and about football, which is why he is taking in the 2mil+ salary and we are talking on a fan board!