no worries at QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

Quick question: Would you rather have a great QB under center or an average one?

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'd rather the best one, in the here and now, not the one with potential. How good was Pitt's QB last season in helping Fitzgerald put up a Fitzgerald like season?

3. cajdav1

Oh, and since we are going to write off next season and we don't care about the kids that have been working their asses off in our program let's tell all of the returning seniors that even though they may be the best at their position they aren't going to start, so that we can develope all of the younger guys for the season after next. We should have told Marcus, Big Ben, Corey and Travis to join the draft last year, damn it's too late.

4. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I'm still waiting for a reply to leinhart. Yes he did it in the pac 10. But still put up great numbers with very little playing time to begin with. If Matt and Jamarcus are the future then they are the future. But this season is this season and the Saban mentality is take it one game at a time. Whoever is the best for the job this week is the starter, nough said! Obviously there is no ? for the coaches. How little we foget that the systerm Fisher puts out is molded to the strengths of the QB so no matter how much time played, the QB is comfortable and doesn't have to do too much. When they try to do too much is when they can get rattled. Let the coaches be the judge of talent and how it needs to develope. I mean, Mauck was 3rd on the depth chart in 2001 until two weeks before the SEC championship game. I think they know what they are doing in developing the talent they have on the depth chart.

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Uh... what is the "next" level. Are we going pro? I thought we won an NC? Did I miss something?

That would be cool though! Sort of like English soccer. The Saints would be relegated down to college level and LSU would be promoted to pro. :wink:

Tigerbnd05 pretty much covered my feelings on this. It is pretty obvious that Saban's opinion is (believe it or not) to try to win the next game on the schedule. That means playing the players who are the best at this time. MR was clearly the best QB after the Spring game. Unless one of the freshman has the most incredible fall camps ever, MR is the man and should be the man. Whether he can do the job to Saban's satisfaction remains to be seen...

6. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

I don’t believe anyone suggested not starting whoever is the best at their position. I believe just the opposite was the concern. Writing off two seasons with quarterbacks that lack experience to some of us seems to be even a worse prospect than writing off just one season. As for as returning seniors not starting, if that occurs Randall will be far from the only returning senior that didn’t get an opportunity to start, and who said that Randall was the best player at his position? I thought that was all still up in the air.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

"who said that Randall was the best player at his position?" I believe it was Nick Saban or was it Coach Fisher.

8. cajdav1

Turbo, like Rygu says in his post, if Saban gives Randall the starting job than he is the best at his position. As for noone saying that we shouldn't start the best at his position, you did. You said that no matter what Russell should start so that we won't have to have 2 years in a row of starting an inexperienced QB. And your statement that Randal wouldn't be the only senior that wouldn't start, by post was about the seniors who deserve to start. If Randall wins the job he deserves to start but you are in favor of giving the position to someone else, so why not do that same thing at all positions? Because it is stupid, that's why. Simply put, the coaches put the best players on the field in their opinion without regard to the future. We have to have a win now mentallity, this isn't the Saints, it's LSU.

And from the looks of things I don't think to many other posters support your view that we should just write this season off, in order to prepare a QB that we have no idea about how good he will be in the future, for the following season.

9. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Cajdav, I don’t know who or what you are replying to because it can’t be me. If you think it is me, then I suggest you go back and reread both of my posts, but this time take your time, read them much slower, and try your best to understand what it is I’m actually saying, because again I never said that Randall wasn’t the better quarterback since that has still not been determined as of yet, Roygu’s assertions above notwithstanding. Basically, I was attempting to expand the dialogue further than what I’ve already seen it discussed. So implying that no one agrees with me is ludicrous since I never expressed my position on the issue either way and besides it’s not a popularity contest in any event. All I did is mention some additional considerations that should play into the decision and was hoping for some open and frank discussion with respect to them. I guess that was a little too much to expect from some people. Boy did I step on some people’s shoes!