not exactly football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TideNTiger, Jan 24, 2002.

1. TideNTiger

TideNTiger Guest

but..........i'm heading to N.O. for mardi gras and have never been. What to expect? Other sites in N.O. -- leaving Atlanta on Friday for the weekend before the 12th. thanks in advance for the tips.

2. The metarie parades are pretty nice, w/o the crowds, but you can go to www.nola.com and get a list of all parades. Have fun.

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Wear comfortable shoes - you will be doing alot of walking.

If this is your first time, you will probably go to the quarter. Us locals have tired of it so the Quarter is 98% tourists. However it is a sight to see if you've never seen it. The crowds are unbelievable. If you have a group it is too easy to get separated and swept away with the crowd, so have a designated re-grouping spot on a side street away from the crowd on Bourbon. Keep your wallet in your front pocket in the big crowds.

I like to watch the uptown parades on St. Charles. Metaire parades are more family-freindly and are safer if you have kids with you. Do not take kids to the quarter under any circumstances. Not only the nudity, but the crowds are downright dangerous for them.

Let me know where you are staying and what kind of action you are looking for (family style, full scale debauchery, etc) and I can give you some more specific tips.

4. Ellis Hugh

More good points. Like he said, pace yourself. It's a party marathon, not a sprint.

However I think it's the North and east ends of the quarter you have to watch out for. If you think of the Mississippi River as the South edge. (Although directions don't make since here - the west side of the river is actually east of the city, but that's a whole other subject.) You can go south all the way to the river and everything is fine. The west border of the quarter is Canal Street, and its fine. The west end is the gay section (If you want to see some sights, walk west to St Ann street on MArdi Gras day). The north edge is Rampart Street, and it's a bad 'hood. But you don't really have to worry about it. Its pretty obvious which streets are crowded and which ones are empty. Just stay off of empty streets.

5. Ellis Hugh

(moved from other thread)

my e-mail is [email protected]. You can e-mail anyone on this board by hitting the "e-mail" button in their posts.

If you are planning to party in the quarter you should probably try to get a hotel room within walking distance. With all of the crowds and street closings its very difficult to drive in and park each day. It's tough for us locals, and I don't know how a visitor could do it.

A word about parades - many people get carried away with catching beads. Add alcohol, and you would be surprised how many fights can occur over worthless plastic beads. My advice is when you and someone else get a hand on the same bead at the same time, just let them have it. Its not worth fighting over, and there will be plenty more beads coming your way just a few seconds later. Plus there is a kind of Mardi Gras karma. Your generosity will come back to you. I always let others have beads I catch, and they almost always share some with me if they catch a big handful.

Mardi Gras is a happy time, and your attitude makes a big difference. If you go into it thinking that you love everybody and everyone is great, then you will get alot more out of it.

A word about cops - don't mess with them. They have the toughest job inthe world, and they do a fantastic job. BUT - they have short fuses. They work 12 hours on and 12 off throughout Mardi Gras. If you give them any attitude they will just arrest you weather its justified or not. Then you sit in the paddy wagon for hours while they fill it up with other drunks. Don't ruin your trip. If they tell you to do something, just say "Yes sir" and move along. Aside from that, they are very tolerant, considering the number of drunks all around them. Their main rule is, have a good time, but don't mess with other people or other peoples property (like peeing in someones yard) and they will let everyone be.

There are many great (and expensive) restaurants in the quarter. But most have menus posted outside so you can decide before you go in. Here's a few of the cheaper places to eat:

Maspero's on Decatur Street is a good place to get a cheap and good po-boy. It's on the opposite side of the street from Jax Brewry, Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe. There will be a lin of people outside waiting to get in but it moves pretty fast.

Same goes for Mothers on Poydras Street, which is several bloks out of the quarter. But crowded and GOOD GOOD GOOD. Try the "Debris" sandwich. It's made of all of the little bits that fall off of the roast beef while cooking. I could go on and on about it.

Acme Oyster House - everything is good there. If you like raw oysters try to get a seat at the oyster bar. The shuckers are real characters. Its either on Iberville or Bienville, I forget which. Whichever street is one block into the quarter from Canal, parallel to Canal.

Anybody else?

6. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

Ellis is correct about the cops. I used to be in a Militry Police National Guard unit in New Orleans and most of the other guys were NOPD. Do not and I repeat do not show yourself if you are a male. Everyone loves seeing the girls but they do not tolerate the guys. Also, do not pee anywhere other than a rest room. I know at least four people that have spent the night in Central lockup for that and believeme when I tell you that Central Lockup is a bad place.

7. MikeBTigers

MikeBTigers Freshman

Bring a bullhorn to the parades. Holler out anything - throw me somethin!!! - hey bigshot!!! whatever - nothing mean, though - and you will catch more useless trinkets than you can imagine. After you snag all the loot you can, pick out the best treasure and proceed to Bourbon Street. Ask one of the homeless-looking stooges with cardboard signs to go up to a balcony. Ransom your loot for free peeks at boobies.

Lather, rinse, repeat.