Not that anybody cares, but...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Quote:
    John Brady wins two games in a row...The rats jump back onto the ship they jumped off of before the USC game...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the dumbest quote I've ever heard, It's a long season like we found out last year, plenty of SEC play left to prove it or lose it.

I always hope and wish the Tiger basketball team to do well, I'd love to be in the top
    25 consistantly but realize it may not be possible every year.
    It would really be nice to make the NCAA tourney every year like we did under Dale Brown for consecutive years, 13 or something?

It would also be nice to see Bradys teams play defense the way the 2000 team did.
    With the way opponents shoot against us this team is just bad defensively and that
    will tell the story for the rest of the season.

Just like in football, in basketball Defense wins Championships!

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

ridiculous. not the tiger bench, but you. the players will not quit, and get control of the game and win, and you gripe about quiet players on the bench?!!! wtf. sure, you'd prefer to see the bench going nuts, but aggressive, smart, determined play of the tigers should also be attributed somewhat to the coach.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

sorry, couldnt get through the entire thread before replying to this. didnt see/care that several others confronted on this.

4. Geauxld Member

Geauxld Member Founding Member

I was at the game. I thought our guys played tough.
    This was my first men's game this year. I also liked all of the new trivia games and display's at the P-mac. It was one of the top 20 or so basketball games I can remember.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

it probably says something similar to what can be inferred from not having a thread for this game until ot. not many people care (or at least care before its interesting). hopefully, its just too painful for the fans to care

to basketball----good win against a decent team. ohio st would be bottom tier sec team, so buckle-up lsu

-----defensive intensity is not there. there were moments, but not even close. as always short guards hurt, but its more than that. not fighting through screens enough, not rotating on top fast enough (dmitch said as much in advocate article today). i still think this is not a team, but more of a collection of players who think they are better than they are.

-----some things looked better. obviously, free throws. i didnt remember mitchell being that good. if we shoot over 75% thatll win several games. few turnovers. minor is starting to control himself. unfortunately, i think a less athletic big ten buckeye team might have been the cause. bass took control. hallelujah!!! he was pissing me off at the end of reg (no buckets for the final 5 min). a team has to have a go to guy to win at the end of games.

------i've become hopeful about this team, but for getting into the ncaa tournament to mean anything (win a couple games) they must play D. cmon brady how long is it gonna take to bring defensive intensity? yes theyre short, but they can do better

LSU!

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

It was a great game...

I don't think people were leaving after the game went to OT or double OT. People were leaving after LSU went down 3 and OSU had the ball with 20 seconds left. Until Mitchell got that great steal after the OSU player thought he was going for a foul, the game was looking very very bleak. (And kudos to the ref for not automatically assuming that he was going to give the foul.) After that, the movement in the stands were people going back to their seats for the OT.

At the end of the 1st OT, I couldn't belive that they didn't foul when up 3 with 6 seconds left. At that point, make the game a free throw contest. Even if they try to make the first and miss the second to get a rebound and put back, surely the odds of that happening are less than the 53% clip that OSU was shooting from 3 point range. Why let them get a 3 off to tie when you can make them shoot 2? Pretty poor coaching decision IMO.

Other than that, it was a spectacular game with both teams making great shot after great shot. Brandon Bass raised his game to a higher level in OT. I wish we would get him the ball in situations like that more during the game.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think its pretty tough to call that poor coaching when maybe 5% of coaches would foul in that situation. i know what youre saying, but most coaches don't want to give up points and leave the game up to a lucky bounce and offensive rebound

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think OSU got 3 offensive rebounds all game.

For them to tie the game if LSU would have fouled, lots more things would have to go right than letting them shoot a 3 and hoping it doesn't go in. They have to make the 1st free throw, they have to miss the second (harder than you would think), get the rebound off the miss and then make the shot. I would bet there is a less than 53% chance that the entire sequence happens.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

hey, i understand, but i dont think its as much of a slam-dunk decision as you do. if you let them shoot and dont foul them, the worst that can happen is a tie. if you foul them and they make one, get the rebound and either hit a 3 or 2 and get fouled, you lose. unlikely to happen, but i think its similar psychology to football coaches not wanting to take a penalty after a made field goal