Not The Best?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Golden Tiger, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

Re: NOT THE BEST ?

Oh yea, whoever wins the Final Four will be called Champions by MOST normal people......just saying......

:geauxtige

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I read Yoni's article on Fox sports, bashing all 4 Final Four teams and all I have to say is, " he sounds like a cry baby."

Seems as though the only people that have a problem with crowning a National Champion in any sport is when their team isn't involved (or in the case of Yoni--his bracket picks got destroyed).

If it's football, people will complain that we don't have a playoff... But in basketball, when there IS a playoff format, people will complain that the "best team isn't playing for the title".

When will people just grow up? The tournament is what it is. And frankly, Florida, LSU, UCLA and G. Mason ALL went through teams that people claimed are "the best". Well...since Duke, Texas, Memphis, UNC, 'Nova and UConn ALL went down, then guess what...they aren't the best.

3. USChater

USChater Founding Member

I agree. The media is such crybabies. They need to make up their midns, playoff or no playoff.

4. Tiger roux

Tiger roux Freshman

That's an idiotic article. Cohen actually said that Duke's "deep." That just goes to show you how informed the writer is. Frankly, while I've heard an awful lot of complaining about the BCS system, I've never really heard much complaint about the NCAA tournament because each team gets a chance to win and advance fair and square in heads up competition. What could be more right? If LSU wins it all, we'll be national champs and we'll go into the history books that way. Yani can cry all he (she?) wants.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I guess this guy wants to name Indy NFL champs this year. After all they did win 13 games in a row to start the season. Pittsburgh wasn't the best team of the year. They were average at best. They were just the best team for 4 games in February. That hardly constitutes a champion. That's just madness.

6. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

I love march madness, even though I normally don't follow college basketball all season. This is partially why I don't participate in the whole bracket phenomenon. If college football could emulate this in someway and eliminate the bowl season B:cuss: S it would be awesome -- although I know an 8 team or 6 team tournament would be more likely.

Anyway, I heard Florida's coach Billy Donovan say it best....something about how perilous the tournament was and that if you start this all over again, you probably would not get the same four teams in the Final Four. Well as Tirk said this guy is a blowhard and is just speaking a bunch of jibba jabba. These teams in the Final Four have scratched, clawed, and fought to get to where they are and nothing should be taken away from them. A bunch of teams went down hard (see West Virgina) and some teams didn't even show up (see Memphis). This is why they play the game -- nothing is given (ignore this years superbowl because the officials definitely gave the game to Pittsburg). Maybe this guy can create his own AP Poll and announce his own National Champion and call some team a Dynasty when it's all said and done.

7. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Seems like most people are blasting his article on his blog. Even if the best team during the season doesn't win it doesn't mean the best team at the moment can't. If he feels only the best team should be the champ then why play the Tourney? We just end the season and crown the champ.

8. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

This guy is making the argument for the BCS--crown the top team from the regular season.

Here's the problem: College hoops teams do not play the regular season as if that were the criteria for the championships. If they did LSU would have never played West Virginia, TOSU and UConn. We would have played more games against pitiful competition to boost our rankings, ala Memphis. Instead, we played the harder games early giving this team a seasoning that they haven't had before. It helped them through the SEC season knowing they could stay with a top team like UConn. No small wonder this team has already gone farther than any other John Brady team.

Each of these 4 teams has beaten a 1 seed. Three of them beat the 1 seed in the Regional Final. That means they could handle the pressure better than the top 4 seeds could.

Sure, you would get the power teams to win more often in a double elimination. But there is something about the teams that win when everything is on the line. Those teams are champions.

GEAUX TIGERS

9. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Very rarely do we see the actual 4 best teams in the Final Four. I think that what you are seeing are the 4 teams that are playing the best basketball right now. I'm not saying that LSU, UCLA, Florida and GMU aren't good teams, but they really havent been there all year. I don't really know a lot about what GMU and UCLA do on a night in night out basis, but I know about the SEC teams. Florida started out 17-0 and started losing when they played actual competition. LSU played tough with good teams but didn't win those games. They beat WVU on the road which is a great win but other than that they only had one quality road win. Not to mention they lost early season games at home to Houston and UNI. They do get tons of credit for winning the outright SEC. Here's the fun thing about the tourney, it doesn't matter how you played in Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb...It's all about March. Its about whose hot. It's about the match up's. I know some of you may not believe it, but honestly, the 4 best teams in the country are Duke, UConn,Nova and Memphis. They were the best teams in the country on a night in night on basis all year. People want to say these teams are overrated b/c they lose in the tourney, well they earned number one seeds somehow right??? They all beat tough competition to get there. It's just about who is playing the best ball at that time. These are the 4 best teams right now. People hate this comparison, but if LSU played 6 games with Duke, the teams may split. Texas and LSU may split. Florida and Nova may split.

I love college basketball because the underdog can win. On the other hand, it sucks for teams that can win 25+ games in the regular year and get stung once and its all over. It's like Gtown/Nova circa 1985...Georgetown was the big bad wolf that year. Nova got in as an 8 and I believe they had lost 6 of 11 going in. They got hot and beat Gtown by 2. Thats just how it goes. I really hate when teams like Duke, Nova, Uconn, lose in the tourney and all of the sudden they are overrated. They earned their number one seeds by being the best teams in the country. They were just outplayed on a given night and it was all over. Trust me, George Mason is not better than these guys. They are playing great ball, but I'd take any one of those number one seeds any given day during the regular season over GMU. The tournament just causes some crazy things to happen.

10. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Memphis played the number 3 schedule out of conference. Their RPI OOC was 2. I think you should use a better example. UConn would be a better example. They had the number 223 OOC SOS