Not The Best?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Golden Tiger, Mar 29, 2006.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

But but but Duke earned their #1 seed by playing very good teams throughout the season. Same with memphis, Villanova, & UConn.

.... of course all of those "very good teams" they played were simply perceived to be "very good" and ranked highly by .... you guessed it.. the media!

NCAA tourney is great, they get to prove it on the court.

2. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I agree with you to an extent. I can see both arguments here. I like you Grad. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone here. I'm just saying that sometimes you don't get the "best" teams in the final four. Less we forget that there is a coaches poll too. Most of the time the coaches polls are basically the same as media polls. It doesnt matter if the media loves you or not, if you win 25+ regular season games like these teams did against good competition, then you are damn good.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Unless, someone who is undefeated in the tournament somehow gets eliminated, you are just flat out wrong. You should rephrase that to "sometimes you don't get who I think are the best teams in the final four".

4. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Fair Enough.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

And a team that won 20 or more could be just as good, if not better. You are putting too much stock into the overall win/loss total. LSU is a good example of how the overall win/loss total is misleading. To start the year LSU had a group of youngsters thrown out on the court together. They had to grow as a team, literally become a TEAM. By that time, they were what 8-5?

Looking at the SEC schedule, SEC tourney, & NCAA tourney they are 19-3 in that stretch. Yet their overall record had those glaring 8 losses listed. Thus the media which votes based on records, much like you form your opinions based on the overall records, barely gave LSU any credit in their polls.

Was LSU just as good, if not better than most of the teams ranked ahead of them? Well, you certainly have your answer now.

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

good post Grad.

7. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

Scrappy, you bring up the coach's poll to validate the media poll..........you just don't get it.......once the tourney has slotted its 64 teams the poll(s) don't mean sh*t......the NCAA Tournament ITSELF decides who is the National Champion. College Basketball spares us the agony of what college football puts us through. So your precious little ranking of #1 seeds does not hold water here in the tournament. AND I WILL THANK GOD FOR THE DAY WHEN WE CAN TAKE WHO IS THE NATIONAL CHAMPION OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL OUT OF THE MEDIA'S HANDS.

8. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

The only reason that polls are bad is because they have preseason polls. I dont know how you can judge someone when the season hasn't even started. I dont know how you can determine how good someone is without seeing them.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

You mean the most talented, the teams that had the best season, what... ???

I'm not trying to shout you down, but what you imply irritates me. Saying that the most talented teams don't always win the NC pretty much goes without saying, IMO. If you are arguing against the tournament in any way, I think you are completely wrong. There is a reason games are played; there is an opinion of who the best teams are before the season even starts; using your logic, why play a game at all?