Notary Public

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by MCab, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MCab

MCab Founding Member

My dad is re-taking the notary public exam, and he's having a hard time with the whole thing. He's told me that the exam is ridiculously hard in spite of the material, that only 2% pass. Also, they don't teach very well. Any advice?

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Tell him to be dam sure he's in that 2% or you're going to ground him.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's a racket by the attorneys. They have conspired to make being a notary so difficult that you almost have to be a lawyer to pass. It's why it's hard to find a notary these days that isn't in a law office. Lawyers hate it that a citizen can do many of his own legal documents and have them properly notarized without spending money on an overpriced lawyer. So this is how they have fought it.

Some lawyers will refuse to notarize a perfectly legal document like a will unless it was written by a lawyer, even though the law makes it clear that a citizen can write his own will. It's a racket.

4. LSUTiga

Shame on 'em for being business-minded and protecting what they went to school to do, for a living. I guess lasik surgeons should recommend their patients to optometrists, too?

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Do you know what a notary does? He watches someone sign a document and certifies that that person actually signed it. You should be able to get that done without going to a law office.

I had no idea the notary exam was so difficult. I know that you used to be commissioned for life when you took it and now you have to retake it every few years.

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

Yes, my father was one and my sister still is. They went to Law School though. Me, I went to McNeese. :cry:

Bureaucracy, your dad is trying to make money from it so don't slap the hand feeding you/him. :yelwink2:

7. mobius481

Nothing wrong with McNeese, I drive past it every day. Except it's hard to believe how good looking the girls are at LSU and they just aren't at the level at McNeese. But I guess that's a story for another thread.

My dad's not a notary. And don't try to talk about my momma either. :hihi:

8. MCab

MCab Founding Member

It's starting to make sense. Yeah, I can see how it's a racket to protect the lawyers and that's a shame.

And as a med student, I could care less if a patient goes to an optometrist for lasik surgery. The patient is responsible for his own health, can choose who he wants to treat him, and let the buyer beware.

9. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

They do a little more than that my friend. They have the power to write conveyances and are responsible to ensure that the document is good against the world. You can cause A LOT of damage if you don’t execute a conveyance right.

I read a couple hundred conveyances a month, and find mistakes here and there. Most of them are simple typos, some are huge mistakes that render the document invalid. Every one that contained a fatal error was executed by an out of state notary. In other words, a person that passed a push over notary exam in another state. There is a reason that the test is hard.

With that said, I am gearing up for my second attempt at the bar. Tell your dad to keep his chin up and study hard and He’ll get it.

10. mobius481

That's because you're not a doctor yet. Soon you'll be pandering to patients so they'll come back to you like the rest of them. Writing antibiotics for viruses even when you know it won't help, etc.

No offense.:thumb: