Notre Dame Drops from #91 to #101 out of 119 teams

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

Not entirely. It's still in the BCS to the extent that the polls and the computers reflect it. The polls may or may not reflect SOS at all, but the computers certainly do. It's not longer its own separate category, however.

2. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

On Notre Dame, I use the following measuring stick for a TV talking head: If they say that Notre Dame should stick with Clausen because "he's the future", I know the person knows very little about college football, or even about sports in general.

To explain, it's not a good idea to play a young player just because he's likely to be the best in the future. The assumption behind this mindset is that it's better to get a guy as much experience as possible. This assumption is false. Putting a young player out before he's ready to compete just to let him get mauled by the opposition is not a good way to develop him into a better player. You help a player develop by initially putting him in a position to succeed. Put him wherever he will succeed. If he can succeed running the scout team, put him there. If he can succeed coming into the game in the final minutes of blowouts, let him do that. You don't throw a kid head first into a flaming cauldron and expect him not to get singed. Doing that actually HURTS his development, because it could make him gunshy later, could make him develop bad habits, could get him hurt, or could ruin his confidence.

IMO, playing Jimmy Clausen so much so soon is probably going to end up being a disastrous coaching decision that helps neither the present nor the future and could end up seriously damaging both.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Weis has been there 3 years. In the 1st 2, ND went to a BCS Bowl. In the 3rd year, they can't beat anybody. Can someone explain how that translates into Willingham's fault? Clearly, Weis ain't what he was made out to be. Brady, Belichek and Allen Funt (let me know if you get that one:wink: ) made him what he was supposed to be. Sorry Irish faithful, but you are stuck with an extremely expensive Jabba the Hut. My joy knows no bounds.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Seems pretty obvious to me. If CLM was 2-3 this year what would people be saying?

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Now, SabanFan, didn't you just author a thread about delighting in others' misery being misguided?

1 person likes this.
  6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yes Miss Staaaaaaaacyyyyyy:hihi:

I thought about it, then said "screw it". Notre Dame is always fair game in my world.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

For the record, I have no problem delighting in the misery of ND, either.

8. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Candid Camera reference noted.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

I like that one. And no, I do not feel sorry for ND at all in any way shape or form. Their unbelievably arrogant fan base cringing with every loss is a beautiful sight to me. I honestly hope they geaux defeated this year, if you catch my drift.

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Well, I think it's clear that in year 3 of the Weis' regime, we're finding out a few things:

1. The players that helped Weis and ND win (Quinn, Samardjia and Rhema McKnight) were Ty Willingham recruits

2. Only a RIDICULOUSLY LOW amount of starters this year are seniors (I believe it to be something crazy like 2-4)...and THAT's also a testiment to Ty Willigham...except that for as good as Quinn and Co. turned out, Ty "whiffed" badly with seemingly everyone else.

3. Weis does get some credit for doing all those things with Quinn (which Ty couldn't do)

4. As much as Weis got over-due credit for being a mastermind, HIS "young gun recruits" aren't getting it done...So perhaps Weis didn't do as good a job recruiting as people think or Quinn just made Weis look better than he actually is.

5. Taking all of the above into context, we probably still won't have all the Weis answers until next year. He's NOT getting fired--even if the Irish go 0-11. They'll give him another year...but if next year is even remotely the same, "bye-bye, Charlie".