Now I've seen it all

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is a political action group called Godless Americans. I just saw it on O'Reilly.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

link

The Godless Americans PAC grew out of the historic "Godless Americans March on Washington" (GAMOW) held on November 2, 2002 in Washington, DC.

Click to receive announcements from GAMPAC

If you prefer not to visit Yahoo's web site or sign up with them subscribe by email, click here

For the first time in history, our nation's diverse community of Atheists, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and others who do not embrace religious creeds marched together for civil rights, the separation of state and church, and their full recognition as American citizens.

We demanded "a place at the table" in this great discussion known as democracy.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i like the sound of that. i wouldnt march in that because it sounds sort of goofy, but i bet i agree with most everything these godless folks stand for.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

whew! i consider myself very fortunate.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's because you are a sensible person. Most people need the fear of eternal damnation to keep them in line.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There is a new special interest group every day in this country. They don't bother me much. The funniest one I saw was "Lesbians for Bush". No kidding.

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

interesting you bring this up. i am a God fearing individual to an extent. i also see the scientific side of things as well. the recent Mars probe findings about how there was once water there that stood in pools on the surface, creating a possibility of life there brings irony to the situation IMO. We believe in the higher power to give us comfort for when we depart this world, believing there is a place better then here that we will become members of if we are good. Hell, obviously, being the polar opposite. if you are catholic, like me, you have the purgatory issue to deal with. but if Mars did once have life, do you think they thought for once that their god would allow for their planet to basically become so far from the sun and so barren that it would be uninhabitable? do we believers feel our God would allow the Earth to get a hole in the ozone, or for a meteor to hit Earth and destroy it like with the dinosaurs?

These things, IMO, bring validity to the scientific views related to existence and evolution, but not the same piece of mind that comes along with believing in creation and God.

sorry for the rant..... :grin:

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i like rants.

i think the what is true should be considered independent of what brings you peace of mind. it is impossible for me to force myself to believe the wildly irrational because it would bring me peace of mind. sure, i have to deal with my mortality, the finality of death, all that stuff, sucks, but i can manage. and the only other solution is to trick myself. just like i cannot convince myself that i can levitate, i cannot convince myself that wizards and magic are calling the shots from the sky.

9. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Maybe I misunderstand you MT and others who believe in one or the other (creationism vs evolution) but I, as a BA Christian, don't have a problem with the two exisiting side by side. Science tells us that the world and the universe is a certain age and that certain things have happened and the Bible tells us that God created it. I personally believe that the story of Adam and Eve is the story of mankind in general and also the story of the beginning of the lineage of Jesus Christ our Savior. I have no problem with believing the world is a mixture of both. After all, in Genesis it says that after Cain was banished from the Garden Of Eden, he went "East into the land of Nod and married a woman" (my paraphrase). So where did the second woman come from? Maybe there were other people as well as A&E you reckon? And of course the Bible makes no mention of dinosaurs which are an established fact.

The point is that no one knows for cerain just how things came to be but it would seem to me that if you look at the complexity of the universe and the human body and the world itself and see that it all fits into a nice neat pattern, it is almost impossible not to believe in God. And belief in God is a matter of faith. So I don't find it hard for the two to coexist.

But that is just mho and I'm sure I'll get some flak and that's okay, so let's hear it.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

MikeThe Tiger69:

For once, I'll give you no flak...in fact, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There's too much evidence out there of evolution for any reasonable person
    to flat out deny it...but my personal belief is that it was the means used by
    God to create the universe. Personally, I don't see how anybody can look at
    the complexities of life (i.e., the human body, the miracle of birth, etc.) and think that it's all just some big coincidence. It's got to be the result of a design by a Higher Being.