Now that all the Friday games are all but over

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Nov 26, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

you did use"if" and "might". normally that will do. but when the gods start getting pissed, you cant be too careful, and an extra sacrifice never hurts to try to appease them.

2. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

They can go out and schedule real teams for OOC and yes I am aware that Boise is opening the season against Georgia next year and opened with VT this year. One decent team OOC per year isn't going out and proving themselves. UL-Monroe on the other hand would've had a valid argument had they won all of their games with 3 top 12 teams on the road.

3. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Here's some stats that should really tell you alot about Boise State:

Nation's Winningest Team Since 1999.........................108 - 20 (.844)
    Nation's Best Home Record Last 5 Years......................38 - 1 (.974)
    Broncos on National TV............................................48 Games (35 - 13)

108-20 since 1999, but in the Nationally televised games, where they are actually sometimes playing a decent opponent, they had 13 of those 20 losses.

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

It's more than one decent team per year. Boise State has played Oregon, Washington, and Oregon State throughout the decade, and usually wins. TCU played at Oklahoma in 2006 and won, and this year played at Oregon State and won.

What more would you have them do? Logistically, it's very hard to work out schedules more than 5-6 years in advance, but they haven't shied away from the big boys. If anything, it's the big boys dodging them, not the other way around.

TCU and Boise State can't help what conference they're in, but they do play multiple BCS conferece opponents OOC every single year.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

You sure about Boise?

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I disagree that they can't control what conference they're in...especially now with conferences re-aligning.

BUT, I'll give you that point. Nonetheless, whether fair or not, they do NOT play a schedule that allows the level of respect that teams in better conferences enjoy. Tulane went undefeated several years back...finished #12 in the country or something. They play in CUSA...no respect. It is what it is, and whether you think it's fair or not doesn't matter. They are NOT on the same level as other teams in the hunt...no matter whose fault it is.

You just touted that they've played Oregon, Oregon St., and Washington throughout the decade. That's true...but they should have 4 non-conference games every year, and they should ALL be against BCS conference opponents. And even then, they should be undefeated with a schedule worthy of respect before they get respect. IOW, they should beat multiple ranked teams. If it winds up that the teams from the BCS conferences aren't any good that year, too bad. LSU scheduled WVU and UNC out of conference...and neither helped LSU this year. Same with Washington last season. Maybe Oregon will help LSU's SOS next year if we win. But LSU has the luxury of playing in the SEC, and faces several ranked teams every year. It is what it is.

My only contention is that...no matter about "fair"...Boise St. and TCU do NOT have championship level resumes due to the lack of SOS. And yes, it's speculative, but I'd lay money on it...they would NOT survive playing an SEC schedule. By survive, I mean they would NOT run the table or even go with only one loss. A one loss SEC team has a better resume than either of those teams, period.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

like turn down a 3 game series with Nebraska?

it was widely reported that NU offered 2 games in Lincoln, 1 in Boise.
    Smurf turf turned it down unless NU ponied up $1mil.

oh, but they accepted a 1 game deal with a rebuilding (and still mediocre) Georgia team, and a 2 game deal with the worst team in the SEC West (Ole Piss).

Nebraska would have easily been the better team for their SOS going forward.
    They took (potentially) easier games for less money than they were asking the Huskers to pay them.

Anyone, anytime, anywhere?
    only if the really good anyone's pay an assload more money than the mediocre ones.

8. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Eh, I guess not. They've only averaged a little more than 1 per year.

2010: Virginia Tech in DC, Oregon State
    2009: Oregon
    2008: at Oregon
    2007: at Washington
    2006: Oregon
    2005: at Georgia, at Oregon State

Here's TCU, for comparison sake:

2010: Oregon State
    2009: at Virginia, at Clemson
    2008: Stanford, at Oklahoma
    2007: Baylor, at Texas, at Stanford
    2006: at Baylor, Texas Tech
    2005: at Oklahoma

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

And I don't think it's their fault, but a lot of the games listed...no matter the original intentions...just weren't against quality teams. Take this year against OSU for instance. Not their fault, but OSU just isn't very good this season. Washington? Like I said about LSU...didn't help LSU, can't help Boise. Virginia? Never a real good team. Baylor wasn't any good in until this year, and even then, they're just mediocre.

Not trying to be a dick to ya Luke. And I don't think Boise St. is a bad team...or TCU for that matter. But they just don't have the resume to deserve elite status, which is what's required...IMO...to play in the BCS games. Last year when they played each other in the bowl game, I didn't know what to think. In a way, I wanted each of them to play elite teams, and I probably would've rooted for them a la BSU/OU back in the day. I was definitely loving that game...because I don't like OU. But then again, I thought it was the only fair way to get them both in the BCS...make 'em play each other. I didn't even watch the dam game...and I LOVE football. In a way, I wish they'd play each other in the BCSNCG, so that when the ratings hit the floor, the BCS would blow up.

With your post, you have cemented my opinion. TCU hasn't beaten a good team all year, and Boise St. has beaten one...VT. Not good enough. Even had they beaten Nevada.