Now that we are out of it, some thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Nov 27, 2010.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Jefferson showed some signs of improvement but he has a lot to be desired. He has a strong arm and above average running skills. That said we all can probably count on 1 hand how many times he went through progressions. He locks on a receiver and that's where he's going or he's going to run.

Do I think he could be a viable back up? I'm not sure he could do what Jarrett Lee does which is come of the bench and start slinging it. Jefferson needs to be in the game to get into the flow. He's not an off the bench type of guy.

Mettenberger gives us a legit chance next year. Jefferson does not.

2. Jackson

Jackson Tiger in NC

Have to agree, our defense for as good as its stats were gave up 400+ yards to Auburn and Arkansas and 36 points to Ole Miss. Yeah, I realize AU and Ark. are good teams, but you could almost see today's game coming before it happened. Tigers had a lot to play for and still could not get it done. That touchdown right before half was a killer. I'm glad the Tigers are 10 - 2 and going to a bowl, but I never really felt like this team could put it all together, with the exception of Bama game, possibly. We always seemed to struggle to a win. I'm sitting here watching Stanford, Stanford, for goodness sake, and they are exciting to watch. I love my Tigers, but they just never were exciting this season. Last second win in the Swamp was pretty cool, but let's face it, UF wasn't all that great this year. I really am trying to stay positive, but I'm looking forward to next year. We played a lot of young guys and appear to have a solid recruiting class lined up.

3. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

We have many reasons to think that the team will be much better next year. Perhaps CLM and Mettenberger can give us a couple more in the next few weeks.

4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I agree with almost everything here.

5. Uncle Milty

Uncle Milty Founding Member

I agree with that, 2 dynamic offensive teams, against maybe suspect defenses. I have no problem seeing Cam Newton in Vince Young's role, with the same result.

The difficult thing is though, it's so hard to really know about Oregon because of where they play. I honestly think that Stanford was the only really good team on their schedule, and I don't believe for a minute that they could have played Auburn's schedule and remained unbeaten.

But then, I guess we'll get a chance to see one way or the other, right? Can't imagine Auburn getting beaten by the Cocks.

6. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Todays game really showed that Jefferson needs time to set up, find his receiver & throw. Ole Miss & even Alabama gave him a little time & he did really well. Arkansas mauled our offensive line & did not give Jefferson any time. I thought it was the type of game that Lee would have done better in because of his quick release. I was really suprised that our defense got beat up so bad last week & especially today. Didn't seem to me that we got much pressure on Mallett on key plays.. Thats gotta get better or we not gonna win that bowl game - outscoring people is not our strength.. Hey, i'm satisified, they did much better than I was expecting. Yes, Please please get us someone to challenge our quarterbacks for next year..

7. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

What are you talking about?

Saban has 2 of 4 seasons at AL with 0 losses in the regular season.
    Urban Meyer has had 3 of 6 seasons at FLA with 1 or less losses in the regular seasons.
    As you noted Gene Chizik has 1 of 2 season with 0 losses in the regular season but I will put a huge asterisk on this one.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Les peaks out at 2 losses.

As far as LSU, overachieved considering the terrible OC, terrible O play calling and horrible game management.

Until there is a new OC I would expect more of the same.

8. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

It's hard to watch a team with so much potiential lose like they did today. But, we really did better this season than I expected.

I think Chavis can get the D even better for next season. But, the O needs serious attention. I believe it all has to do with Crowton. He has to go. Our QB play was not where it needs to be. They both never looked prepared to play. Yes, there was some improvement as the season progressed. And, there were flashes competence. But, the QB's are JR's, they should have been killing the opposing defenses from the get go.

Coach Miles did a good job this year. The team did a good job. I'm optimistic for the future of this team. Get some QB's and a good coach for them and I think we will be OK. GEAUX TIGERS!!!

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Agreed, plus the OC needs to figure out how to get the ball to playmakers. RS just disappeared from the offense. I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't put him in the wildcat every now and then; especially considering the poor inconsistent play from that position.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

He also has ZERO pocket presence and NEVER senses pressure from the back side.