Nuestro Himno: are you offended by a Spanish-spangled Banner?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Apr 28, 2006.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Not so fast red. You're just a small step above CParso. :grin:

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

First of all, let me say that it is extremely important for immigrants to learn English. They will never be able to make the most of what this country can offer if they don't. But everyone seems to be missing the point here. What we have been hearing on TV is not the national anthem. The lyrics are entirely different; only the music remained. This is what I am offended by. If someone is singing the real national anthem I could care less what language they sing it in. They should, of course try to learn enough English to sing it, but if they can't speak English well enough yet, then sing it in whatever language they feel most comfortable with. But they should be singing the NATIONAL ANTHEM - not that bastarization that they came up with. What is most important is not the language, but the feelings they have for the song and all it represents.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I disagree with your last statement, CParso. It has always been a requirement for citizenship that an applicant learn English. That is a good and necessary requirement. HKow far someone will go in this country depends on their ability to speak good English.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hadnt really read this thread because i didnt think anyone was serious. you guys are actually offended by a song? wow, disappointing.

5. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

As far as the anthem goes, I don't like it. But I will not go as far as to say I'm offended by it. I think those responsible had their heart in the right place, but that doesn't make it any less silly.

As far as pushing our kids to learn Spanish, where I grew up we had a choice of that, French or German. To this day I consider the ability to speak basic conversational Spanish a huge asset. I was forced to learn plenty of other things in high school that I never use (calculus, chemistry). Do you really wake up each morning thinking, "Thank goodness I only speak one language?"

Whether we all like it or not, the economy is becoming a global one and knowing a little bit of another language or culture cannot be viewed as a bad thing. I personally think that all high school children should be encouraged (not forced) to get their passports and spend some time abroad.

I do agree that anyone making the choice to come to the USA to live should be making the effort to learn the English language.

6. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

I watched the big rally here in Chicago yesterday. While my thoughts on illegal immigration tend to be middle of the road, I did find the following things pretty offensive.

1. Not knowing how to display the American flag. I know this is ignorance, and not spite, but it is offensive nonetheless. I can't tell you how many people were waving the American flag over their heads, then dragging it on the street while they walked.

2. Raising a foreign country's flag over the American flag on a pole. There were many instances of the Mexico, Poland, Ireland and Puerto Rico flags being carried on poles, with the American flag underneath it.

3. Carrying signs denouncing our leaders in a country that you are residing in illegally. While I am not the biggest Bush fan, having someone from a foreign country carry signs in an American city saying "yes to amnesty, no to Bush" just came off as being arrogant.

4. All the signs with a picture of a garbage can with an arrow pointing to it and the phrase "insert American flag here" just made my blood boil.

I am sure that this is playing into the argument throughout this string of, respect our country and our culture, rather than wanting America to assimilate to yours.

I anxiously await your reponses.

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I don't give a rat's butt if they speak in an unknown utterance. If they are here illegally, they HAVE NO AMERICAN RIGHTS. End of story. Did you see some of those huge parades? Perfect opportunity wasted. Put cattle chutes at the end of the parade manned by immigration officers and necessary help. SHOW ME YOUR SIGN. LEGALS TO THE LEFT. ILLEGALS GET IN THE BIG TRUCKS. NEXT STOP---MEXICO.

HELLO? PRESIDENT FOX? HI...UH...I AND 20 MILLION OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS WOULD LIKE TO COME LIVE IN YOUR COUNTRY, USE YOUR SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS AND SOCIAL SERVICES FOR FREE, BUT KEEP OUR OWN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE....

NOW SIR....WE CAN'T HAVE A SERIOUS DISCUSSION UNTIL YOU STOP LAUGHING, SIR!!!!!!!!!!

AP MALLARD FILLMORE 05/02/06

8. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Need I say more.....what a shame.:grin:

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Bullchit, Pepe. I make a damn fine burrito, myself. Meat, beans, onion, cheese, and salsa wrapped in a tortilla. It's hard to screw it up.

Latinos don't make burritos at my local Taco Bell, anyway. Black girls make them and they're pretty good, too.

Illegal aliens make up less than 5% of the work force. We're not going to miss them at all.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I love all of this bs...
    These people don't realize they are waking up America and pissing her off.
    Hopefully we will change things before its too late.