O-line deserves credit

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Tygrr, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

http://www.nola.com/lsu/t-p/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/107596810616420.xml

This is why I think Saban is such a good coach. He knows what players to pick up. Most coaches concentrate on the "glamour" positions such as RB, where as Saban knows the importance of big linemen. Saban knows without good linemen, those highly touted RBs, that others recruit, won't have holes to run through. I believe thats why every running back that Saban put in this past season, gained great yardage, we had a great O-line. Great O-line+halfway decent RB's = big yardage. Great RB+weak O-line= STUFFED at the line. While Vincent is a good talent, I don't think the O-line received enough credit for his performances in the SECCG and the Sugar Bowl. Go back and look at his break out runs and you'll see that it was the O-line creating good blocking for Vincent.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah but Justin Vincent is just as good as the O-Line quality we have.

Great RB + Great O-Line = Heisman.

3. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

i think that the o-line definatly deserves credit they never do get enough credit but lets not forget that the running backs still get blocks down field from recievers and they also have to make plays themsleves

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Micheal Clayton. Best blocking wideout in the nation. Don't be surprised if that fact does not bolster Clayton's chances in the NFL draft and gets him somewhere between 15-20 instead of 25-30 like he is projected.

5. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Its hard to predict where he will fall. Clearly OAK has a serious need for a WR. IMO, Clayton is every bit as good as Roy Williams, and depending on the other teams in need of a WR, could be selected higher than Williams. It just depends.

Also, Devery has been upping his stock, and could potentially go in the first 3 rounds. I saw him as high as the 9th rated WR. I have seen Clayton anywhere from 3rd to 5th.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A lot of credit goes to coach Searles, who was in his first year here coaching the offensive line. Remember this line with the same players was generally considered to have underperfomed the previous two seasons.

Nick sent coach Yarno packing after last year and brought in coach Searles. The line had a sub-par opening game but began to dominate thereafter.

Gotta be the coach!

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I doubt if there is a coach in the world that concentrates on just the glamour positions unless he doesn't want to coach long at all. the FANS & PRESS concentrate on the glamour positions.