Obama “turns out I’m really good at killing people”

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CajunlostinCali, Feb 17, 2014.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

And this is my main question. If Putin stays put in Crimea with not firing a shot, what would we gain by forcing a reversal? I don't see Russia pulling out of Crimea now.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No one has asked the Russians to leave the Crimea. Those bases are there by treaty and its OK with Ukraine. But the same treaty requires the Russians to:
    1. Respect Ukrainian independence and sovereignty within its existing borders.
    2. Refrain from the threat or use of force against Ukraine.
    It's these intimidating new military forces deployed to Crimea without the invitation or permission of Ukraine that must be pulled out.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I understand, but what I am saying, who in their right mind would pull the trigger on this if Russia remains peaceful?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nobody wants to go to war over it including Putin. But political and economic action will most definitely be taken, as well as military posturing. Putin doesn't want to make an excuse for NATO redeploying and strengthening itself in eastern Europe. He does't want to push Turkey closer to the EU. He doesn't want a split Ukraine because the eastern part will certainly join NATO after this treaty violation.

Winston1 likes this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

As Red noted the political and economic consequences could be very damaging to the Russians and could force a pull back from Crimea to what is allowed under the treaty. It will take strong leadership from our President and backing from the rest of the west but it is possible. This is a time that we should give the President a chance to show that leadership and back him if he does.