Obama and Healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Ummm.... China??:hihi:

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is nonsense. For many people this is already the case. Ask small businessmen or the self-employed. Insurance rates are eating them alive.

You will if your insurance company drops you. I know people who felt just like you until they lost coverage and couldn't get any insurance because of pre-exiisting conditions. There are a lot of hard-working people in this country, who would love to pay insurance but no one will offer it to them. The system is broken.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i oppose people that see a broken system but resist change (through their votes) because they are happy with what they have. this is akin to tyranny of the majority and unethical.

4. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

This is simple business 101. Why would the insurance company transfer a risk at a rate they know they can't win and then transfer that loss onto the better risk people.

What is broken is that insurance isn't suppose to be fair.

Where is this endless bucket of money you are grabbing from?

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Where in the Constitution does it say that I have taken others to raise?

6. red55

They do it all the time. Insurance works by spreading the risk around to lower its impact on everybody.

You are advocating a health care system that prefers to represent clients that they don't have to pay out to rather than clients with actual health problems. You will love this system right up to the point you lose your own coverage and you can't get it back even though you are willing to pay for it.

Then insurance premiums aren't supposed to be fair either. Why are you carrying water for the insurance industry, which is hugely profitable and want to become even more so by tightly controlling who they have to cover. They want us to pay more premiums while they assume LESS risk for us.

I'm not grabbing money, don't be obtuse. I'm lamenting a system that's robbing us and serving us poorly which needs to be fixed.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

there are 3 types of people when it comes to healthcare, those who don't have any coverage, those who have been screwed over by the insurance companies, and those who haven't been screwed over YET by the insurance companies. Don't worry all you people who are "happy" your time will come.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

You are misleading. If they started to cover you and you stayed on then they have no choice to cover your risk b/c you have been paying for it. You made a good bet.

But if you can't keep that transfer going you are taking your own risk. Then if you get sick of course they won't let you back on it's a loosing case for them.

I'm all for joining the pool to spread the risk but I don't want the insurance company taking every loosing case to make my premium go up.. Are you crazy.

9. red55

You are misinformed. People get dropped all the time simply for having serious medical problems that the company doesn't want to pay for. It depends on your company and your policy, but Insurance companies have many ways to drop you if they want to and they do it regularly.

The word is "losing".

If the pool is big enough, you will never know it. That's the magic of spreading the risk. Part of the Health Plan is to make larger pools by allowing the self-employed and small businesses to participate in group insurance for the lower rates.

Why, . . . no. Are you foolhardy?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If you are referring to covering pre-existing conditions, you have no clue as to how insurance works.

You throw around "hugely profitable" like it's a given. Corporations are profitable or they don't survive. "Hugely?"
    Relative to what? Premiums are not raised to increase profits any more than the price of oranges going up after a freeze in Florida. They don't want "less risk". They just don't want to take on a 100% risk. It's like binding coverage on a camp in Grand Isle with a hurricane in the Gulf.

And you advocate adding another 31 Million people who can't afford it. Yeah. That'll fix it.:dis: