Obama's Approval Rating Hits 60% in New Poll

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, May 11, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

White House Urges Congress to Raise Debt Ceiling -- Despite 2006 Obama Vote Against Doing So - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
    quote from article:
    White House press secretary Robert Gibbs defended then-Senator Barack Obama's 2006 vote against raising the debt ceiling on Wednesday - even as he urged current members of Congress not to "play politics" with the issue.

In 2006 Obama was aginst raising the debt limit calling bush out on spending. Now he wants the ceiling raised. We need a balanced budget amendment. Do not raise the debt ceiling. Cut spending so that we do not go deeper into debt.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Do both. Failure to pay our debts will trigger a huge international economic crisis. Most republicans are not that stupid.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I agree. We have to pay what we committed to, but we also have to cut ties with our old ways NOW>

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We can't keep raising the debt ceiling. We will go BANKRUPT. We have to cut spending. When you can't pay your bills you cut back. Why can't we cut spending? I would bet that ten of us on tigerfan could sit in a room for a week and cut a hundred billion off the budget on things we ALL could agree on.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I agree, but you have to pay your debts by whatever means. Just realize the mistake and change it...

If we can't not pay what we owe...Our dollar will go down the ****er in about 2 seconds...

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Here's What the U.S. Can Cut

Estimated $1.2 trillion unused federal property

The government owns and leases 3.87 billion square feet of property, and 55.7 million acres of land—meaning, one out of every forty acres. Real property asset value for all these holdings is estimated to be $1.2 trillion, says Citizens Against Government Waste, *based on data from the Federal Real Property Profilecreated by the Bush administration, which helps federal agencies manage and dispose of their excess property.

One alarming example of the government's wasteful holdings is Chicago's Old Main Post Office, a 2.5 million-square-foot abandoned structure that has been vacant since 1997 and costs $2 million to maintain annually, (the government recently moved to unload it, after spending more than $26 million to maintain it, government sources note).*

This is an example of how to start.

7. red55

What part of "causing an international economic crisis in which the United States loses every advantage it now enjoys" do you not understand? The Republicans will have to shoulder the blame for what could turn into another Great Depression. Forget 2012 and 2016, too. Maybe even lose the House again.

It doesn't have to happen instantly. Raising the debt ceiling does! Or bad things happen fast. Unrepairable things. The fight over the budget has been ongoing for decades and will continue. You don't hold the good name of the nation hostage just to try to get the other party to suddenly cave into everything that you want. Obama is going to call their bluff and the GOP is going to back down. Otherwise they commit political suicide.

You won't cut SS and Medicare and anything else is a joke. Why can't we raise taxes? We are paying the lowest taxes in terms of GDP than we have paid since WWII. Despite running international wars and economic crashes, we are paying some of the lowest taxes on earth for a developed country. We paid for WWI with Liberty bonds and higher taxes. We paid for WWII with War Bonds, higher taxes, and rationing. Since then we just borrow money and the public has to shoulder none of the costs so that they like their politicians.

Businesses are flush with cash reserves, banks have more money than they can lend, citizens are richer than they have ever been. Are we going to sit here and watch the country fall apart because some of us are too cheap to pay taxes? The GOP has become the party of "get something for nothing". Americans are smarter than that.

8. red55

Unneeded military bases and unused federal buildings . . . sell them.

But our remaining public lands should be preserved. We get a lot of income leasing them for oil exploration, farming, timber and cattle leases, too. Nest you will want to sell the national parks and battlefields. Maybe the Smithsonian.

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Man I'm not that damn radical. I'm going to the Shiloh civil war battlefield camping on the Tennessee river on state land next week. No I am not saying to sell ole faithful. I have never said that raising taxes are out of the question. What I have said is that all deductions , both business and private, should be scrapped. I have said that about half of the people pay no taxes and many business' don't pay. Make low tax rates and everyone pays. Everyone without any deductions. No long form or standardizied deductions. A simple four tier tax system.
    Now about federal land and realestate. Sell off all surplus properties. It can be done.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Yay raise the debt ceiling to pay off old debt with new debt. Well not even pay off debt just the interest.

The economic crisis is already here and if we don't take action and liquidate some of this debt it will come crashing down with the dollar stuck in the mud.

Thanks govt. for giving us a sound dollar. Ugh.