Obama's Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUGradin99, May 26, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

it is sad and pathetic that you think this is the president's job.

can he substitute a different tomb or is this the one you have deemed to matter? would you prefer tears or quiet reverence?

also i dont see why he has to salute anyone. he is a civilian.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Most of the time you would be better off not speaking.

3. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

It's sad and pathetic that you think it is much more than that. He can't pass laws, he can't raise taxes, he can't even spend money unless congress gives it to him. He is the leader of our country but when it comes down to it, congress affects my life far more than any president. This is over your head somehow? I thought you told everyone you were smart?
    Clearly he can do whatever he wants, including not going to the Tomb. However it has become customary for our president to do so, since the Tomb is a symbol of the sacrifices of all of our fallen soldiers. Respect and customs sort of go hand in hand. What do you think "Memorial Day" is? Just another vacation?
    Most people would prefer he just show up. Silly issue to you or not, he will catch sh!t for it from people of all political leanings.
    You mean besides being the Commander-in-Chief, in charge of every single person in all of our armed forces? No, he probably doesn't have to salute them, but at least Obama has displayed enough common sense to know he should.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

again, my question to you is what the president should be doing this weekend and why. what authority does he have regarding the issues you are mentioning?

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

that is debatable, given that the president has been starting wars. and by disagreeing with you i meant that i do not expect the prez to be expected to cheerlead or calm your nerves by going to the proper memorials or whatever.

i dont recall saying that. but i will say it now, i am almost certainly the smartest person here, especially now that tirk and nolimit (who is the smartest person ever here) are not around.

eisenhower didnt salute either, and eisenhower is one of the the highest ranking military man in american history. should he have? you are apparently the authority on protocol and what folks "should" do.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Debatable? You think it's fine for him to smoke weed in the mountains but my equating him as a cheerleader is pathetic? Ok, continue to debate with yourself. :insane:

Whatever meaning what? The president is expected to observe a bunch of protocols, give speeches reassuring americans, etc. He is a front man. You just prefer to be tangential because you prefer to be tangential.
    :rofl:
    Go back far enough and you can find a president that didn't do something that is done today. I'm impressed you only had to go back 50 years to find an example of one that doesn't salute the military. :lol:

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

As Command in Chief, he does have a responsibility to the all the troops under his command. Memorial Day services at Arlington National Cemetery is a military tradition. He is missing the ceremony but he will be back in time to see Paul McCartney.

f*@#$ing joke.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Memorial Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

memorial day is to honor those that died serving our country. the priority for the day of the commander-in-chief of the military should be to honor those dead. it has traditionally been by placing a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier in arlington national cemetery.

picnics, bbq's, and used car sales are not the reason for the day. those things should be secondary to honoring those that died in service. as leader of our country the president should be setting an example of reminding others what the day is about.

it is disappointing that the president does not care enough to follow tradition in a way that honors the dead in a way that is symbolic to the public and the families of those that have died. without respectful observance, it might as well just be another day.

all my opinion, of course.

9. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Actually, he's not saluting them, THEY are saluting HIM, since he is the Commander-in-Chief. He is returning the salute, which is protocol and is considered a sign of disrespect if not returned (and one is able to return the salute).

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didnt have to, i went back that far because of eisenhower's rank and presumed knowledge of military policy. reagan started the tradition of saluting.