Obama's speech

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Apr 21, 2011.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

there are programs run in different places, such as one by our county sheriff's office, that collects unused cell phones, and distributes them to low income seniors and to work only calling 911. those are free phones i can understand, for the safety of seniors while out and about.

then there are free cell phone programs such as what auburn runs. those, not so much. :hihi:

2. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

It would be interesting to see what the actual republican to democrat ratio is among the nation's wealthiest people. Intuitively, I'd say if you took the nation's top 5% of wealthy folks, the gap isn't as large as one may think. I know that out of the top 10 wealthiest congressmen (and women), it's 7-3 in favor of democrats. Obviously, this isn't indicative of the whole country, but I found it interesting.

Really, I suppose it's all in how you define selfishness... For example:

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers (2008)
    Of course, I suppose it's all in who you ask. I've also read that while republicans tend to give more money to charity, democrats are more likely to take up a cause and donate time to it.

I know they put it in terms of conservatives vs. liberals, but I'd wager it's safe to assume that most of the conservatives they speak of are republicans, and most of the liberals they speak of are democrats. Also, I'm fairly sure it's not too hard to find articles that also say essentially the same thing with republicans vs. democrats. I'll have to look in to that a bit further.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yes, you auditors are the salt of the earth. Your backbreaking labors are unappreciated. How could mankind go on if our beans are not counted properly and we have no assurance that this is so.

Oh, the humanity . . .

4. red55

One might disagree.

The Myth of Old Money Liberalism: The Politics of the Forbes 400 Richest Americans

-----------------------------------------------
    New Rich

Democrat 9%
    Strong Democrat 20%
    Republican 16%
    Strong Republican 36%
    Bipartisan 19%

Old Rich

Democrat 6%
    Strong Democrat 13%
    Republican 10%
    Strong Republican 59%
    Bipartisan 12%

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

This from a research geek?:confused:

I am enjoying the fruits of 30 years of dues paying. Have you ever been to the scene of an 18 wheeler-car accident where the teen age driver got decapitated? Have you walked through the rubble after a tornado went through a neighborhood? Have you been awakened at 3 am by a beeper to get to the scene of a house fire and when you get there the Mom can't find one of her kids? By way, I am not a bean counter. I manage a group of technical auditors who are interested in saving claims dollars in order to make insurance costs, thus premiums, lower for you pasty faced spreadsheet readers.

6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I'll give you that, but my overall point in that post was the thought that republicans the embodiment of selfishness, while it may be one's personal view, is not necessarily an accurate one. Just because one side may have more money, doesn't mean they are selfish. In fact, in many cases it's just the opposite. I think the wealthy (republicans) get a bad rap in this case, as they generally donate a larger percentage of their income to charity.

I also find it interesting that some of the biggest advocates of social entitlements give the least amount of money to charity. To me, it seems Democrats are plenty generous, as long as it's not their money that they're contributing.

Biden gave average of $369 to charity a year - USATODAY.com (Dated 2008)

7. red55

Gotcha. :lol:

Try to remember that you are not the only person alive who works for a living.

8. red55

Why? Because it is a tax break! They desire tax breaks in order to avoid paying taxes to America. So they encourage this one. By donating to charities instead of paying taxes, they get to benefit directly from the gift. They selfishly garner prestige, sometimes fame, political attention (see your article), and power that comes from being a known potential donor. People grovel at their feet in hopes of getting a donation. Meanwhile the country collects less income. Not because the poor are stealing from us, but because the rich are.

The article cherrypicked a few individuals. I think you still have a case to make that democrats are more selfish than republicans.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You're the one making class distinctions. You want to know why Republicans have all the money? I told you why.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Charitable giving is to help others, right? These are many of the same people that would be helped by govt assistance. For instance, a gift to Habitat for Humanity would help get someone a house and out of govt housing. Thus, 100 percent of the gift goes to helping versus 25-30% of the gift amount going to help through taxes. Charitable giving should be encouraged since more dollars are then available for doing charitable things.

Don't pick this apart with a negative mindset red. Wrap your head around the good of it.