Observation about New West Upper Deck...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MiketheTiger, Aug 24, 2003.

1. MiketheTiger

MiketheTiger Founding Member

I was looking at the TAF website about the new WUD and noticed something odd. Although it is supposed to be a mirror image of the EUD, it will have three levels of club seating, as opposed to 2 levels of suites on the EUD. In order to do that, the upper level where the average fan will sit will actually start higher than on the EUD. The top rows will match and the angles will match, but the first row on the WUD will start higher up to accomodate the extra level of club seating. I know this may not be that big of a deal but in the future (maybe distant future) when they build the South Upper Deck, there will be a transition problem with matching the two upper seating portions.

I just thought I would point this out and see what everyone else thinks of this possible ugly looking problem in the future. If they would have had the foresight, maybe they should have built three levels of suites on the East side and all of this would match up in the future.

Expansion to the North Upper Deck will be next to impossible without plenty of money. Our forward thinking Athletic Department were obviously not thinking about future expansion when they built the Lawton squad room, Training room and Weight training facilities outside of the stadium perimeter. They would need to either knock them down or go though them with supports. I guess they could possibly build the North upper deck cantilevering over these facilities, but my point is, why didn't they think about this when they were building these facilities. Now, all of these facilities will be duplicated (except for the Lawton squad room) over at the new Football practice facility being built for Saban. Either way, the new West upper deck does look impressive. I just wish they would have prepared a longterm facility study to avoid some of these problems in the future.

By the way, what is the status on Mike the Tigers new home? Has all this gotten lost in the new Vision plan?

2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I thought the same thing when I looked at it too. Maybe they were seeking to attain some new unsymmetrical architectural wonder. I believe they have a feedback link on the link website. It would be interesting to see what was their thought process or if this ever cross their mind in this design.

3. FOREVER LSU

FOREVER LSU Founding Member

Good stuff!!!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. The three club seating levels on the new West deck plans are not as tall as the two skybox levels on the East, perhaps.

2. I don't think the South upper deck is ever going to happen. We don't even have this season sold out and there were many games with some empty seats in the upper decks last year. Nobody is going to pay surcharges to sit that high in an endzone seat. And it won't get built without surcharges. By the time LSU needs more capacity it will be time to build a new, modern Tiger Stadium out on River road. Maybe in 20 years.

3. The Lawton and weight rooms adjoin the Nortth end zone and wouldn't be affected by the deck construction, but the Lawton room has to go, anyway. It was a stupid place to put a meeting room. It is a major, major impediment to pedestrian traffic on game day.

4. It may also be time to demolish the old dormatories under the stadium. They aren't being used anymore except for storage mostly. It would sure open up the ramp areas to some light and air and make a lot of room for badly needed restroom and concession spaces, Tiger Gift center, etc.

5. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. If LSU can go on a run like Florida had in the 90's, season ticket sales would go WAY up. Also, if we can start to schedule top OOC opponents and mid majors instead of 1AA teams and instate cupcakes, many people would be more willing to buy season tickets. Imagine if this years homeschedule looked like this: Texas, Southern Miss, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, LA Tech, and Arkansas - what LSU fan wouldn't want season tickets? And if we were to go on a unbeleivable run, they could up the surcharges and put surcharges on all the west upper seats then make the south endzone all non-surcharge seats - or even less than the current $36 - so that noone can complain that they are being priced out of Tiger Stadium. I think that they could easily pay the lease with revenue from suites and/or clubseats that would be in south upper. Plus, you got to believe its a possibility or they wouldn't have mentioned it.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I think the new West upper will fit with the East upper. The press box and club seat sections will not be as high ceiling as the two levels of suites, thus three levels can be put on the West side and the endzone can still be bridged with even lines. At least that was how it was explained to me.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Just an idea but what if they remodeled the old dorm areas into luxurious apartments with direct access from each apartment to the owner's luxury seats suite? There should be enough corporate fatcats willing to pay big $$$$ for them to make it profitable. LSU could build the apartments to the owners specs after he plunked his corporate dollars down.

8. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

what about turning the old dorms into hotel rooms?....could also put some food joints in there aswell.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Another good idea. The posibilities are endless. Anything they would do in this area would have to be very high end dollarwise for whoever bought the apartments or booked a hotel room at the Hotel Tiger. I wish I could afford it myself.

10. termite

termite Freshman

I always figured the next expansion would be the south endzone. It would be a smaller gap to fill, the new upper decks already go farther in that direction, there may be more room to work with (distance from streets), and it won't affect the newer add ons on the north side.