OC Wish list

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bayou Bengal11, Jan 12, 2011.

1. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Agreed. I sincerely hope Gonzales DOES NOT get the OC job. I'm hoping for someone with experience and Fuente is my candidate. :LSU231:

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Agreed

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Sounds to me like BG has already been named OC from within and CLM is just getting his ducks in a row hiring a QB coach before making any formal announcements. Kind of like Mettenberger was committed way before the actual announcement. CLM likes to work out of the public eye, which is not a bad thing in my view.

Regarding BGs qualifications vs others, I really don't get all of the concerns posted here by people who do not work day to day and see someones capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. BG has only been here one year. During that time, he has had to learn CGCs system, build relationships with coaches and players, then try to demonstrate he knows what he is doing so he can influence the process. He could not just walk in the door and immediately take over running the show, so why everyone is trying to saddlebag him with Crowton's inept offensive scheme is simply unfair. Had he had more time to influence CGCs offense as the PGC, then maybe the results would have been better.

I also don't get all of the love for Fuente, an outsider unknown who was a co-OC. I mean, how do we know he can do it solo and in the SEC? To me, that is more of a risk than the known you have already in the mix of your coaching staff.

Lastly, what I do know is this. CLM has led this team to over 60 victories, has turned down his alma mater twice, essentially forced the inept OC to move on as needed, and has been taking his time to decide on the right fit for OC for a team poised to get to the NC next year. I trust in his informed, thought out decision, and believe it will be the right choice for this football team!

1 person likes this.
  4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Miles appears to be focusing on QB coaches. Almost as if he is setting up a coordinator system without a true OC. Which might put that responsibility on him. QB, WR, RB, OL coaches all working under him. Not abnormal to have a HC be the real OC with someone else as a figure head.

5. ParadiseiNC

hmmm, maybe. clearly, he will likely name CBG the official OC in the coming days. whether that is simply a title, or whether he lets him run his own offense remains to be seen. i am sure CLM will be more hands on in the beginning. i think he would then gradually allow CBG (if he does become OC) to be more and more independent over time as he proves himself. to all of the people criticizing Miles for being more and more involved with CGCs offense, I think it was needed and is why we did improve a little in the second half of this year. CGC had run the offense down over the two seasons 2008-2009, and Miles had to step in.

also, Miles went after CBG last year, so clearly he thinks highly of him and feels he has a lot of potential as a budding OC, and wants to give him that chance. i don't think over time he will get in CBGs way, as long as the offense progresses and produces. just my humble opinion.

you know, its funny how everyone was anointing CBG last year as the OC in waiting, and everyone seemed giddy about that. now, opinions are the opposite since the offense was less than spectacular this past year, and that is somehow CBGs fault. if we hired Fuente, everyone would be giddy and call him the savior. then, if the offense tanked, the opinion would then turn to CLM having made a rash decision hiring an unproven co-OC at a non-SEC school and putting our program back a few more years. i think we need to temper our emotions a bit. i personally was not all that giddy about CBG originally, but would support him as OC b/c clearly CLM thought highly of him to bring him in in the first place, and after a year of experience with him is now willing to hand him the reigns. seems like a better decision than bringing in an outsider who is not truly proven as an independent OC in Fuente. not trying to knock Fuente, just saying for our program at this point in time, i am not as giddy as others in saying what a great hire he would be. now, another more proven OC, i would support that, but i also support CLMs insight in promoting CBG, too, if that in fact happens.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If what I've heard about him calling the plays in certain games over the past couple of seasons is true, then I'm all for it. If true, he may be the offensive guru that we all covet so badly. Kinda weird, though. He's never struck me as the X's and O's type.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That's because he's not.

8. ParadiseiNC

and you know this how, coach islstl, living in FLA?

let's see, Miles played offensive line for 4 years at a major college, then has coached at different levels at major college programs including Michigan, Colorado, Ok. State, and LSU, but he doesn't know anything about X's and O's.

yeah, i'll take your word for it.

9. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Just sayin', but CLM also "thought highly" of Mallory & Peveto as Co-DC's and we know how that worked out. :rolleye33: He then had to make the move to an experienced DC and got The Chief. The results of that move are pretty evident.

As for Fuente, I just believe he has more upside than Billy G. Sure, he hasn't been an independent OC but as a CO-DC that's more experience than CBG has had. And I think you'd have to agree that TCU's offense was pretty successful this year and Fuente had a big hand in that. He was calling most all the plays if I'm not mistaken.

And while Billy G. may have been heavily involved in the game plan for the Cotton Bowl, he has yet to call his first play! I just don't see how handing the reins of LSU's offense to a guy who has no experience as an OC is a good thing. Not in the SEC. And let's not forget that CUM passed him over for the OC position at UF and Billy G. had been with him for years. If he was ready for the challenge I would think CUM would have promoted him. You have to earn your spurs before becoming an SEC OC and Billy G. hasn't done that yet, IMO.

It all boils down to experience in my view with whoever Les hires. I'm just hoping CLM takes the route he did when hiring Chavis and goes with experience. Fuente just happens to be my favorite and he does have experience. Billy G. does not and that's important given the potential and opportunities LSU is looking at for the next 3 or 4 yrs. Again, just sayin....:LSU231:

10. ParadiseiNC

all good points, and i respect your opinion. i just don't know enough about Fuente to say that i would be excited or disappointed either way with that hire. i hear you about promoting the dual head MalVeto, but that was coming off of an NC run, and i think he just didn't want to rock the boat at that point with going for an outside hire. this seems different to me. seems like he is comfortable with BG.

i agree with you in that i would prefer a hire of a known successful OC. i was personally hoping for SLogan, or someone along those lines. i am less excited about Fuente for some reason, again just don't know enough about him, and he doesn't have enough experience to be an outside hire, IMHO. having said that, if BG is the man, then i support it. not overexcited, but not throwing stones either, if you get my drift.

Edit: oh, and way to spell "rein" correctly. i got it wrong in my original response, LOL. typing to quick and not realizing my own intended meaning there, i suppose.