O'Donnell seriously?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 19, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Schools should touch on both creationism and evolution, not try to influence one or the other.

Religious education should be the church's responsibility, unless parents elect to send their kids to parochial school.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

evolution has been proven though. christine o'donnell basically also said that evolution can't be possible because there aren't any monkeys turning into humans.

Really christine? really?

when has creationism been proven?

3. SabanFan

It's a belief. Faith. Believers don't want or need proof. I, personally, don't want to be a descendent of a monkey so I choose to believe otherwise.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You can pray in school, pray at public events, put a nativity scene in your yard or a memorial cross on your property. No problem, it is your right.

But it is entirely constitutional to prohibit public schools from organizing a prayer session that everybody must participate in. Likewise state university ball game prayers, nativity scenes on court house lawns, and religious memorials on federal land all run afoul of the constitutional guarantees against state endorsed religion. This concept has been tested in court for centuries and survived.

5. red55

THEY DO THIS ALREADY!! Evolution is taught in science classes and creation is taught in social studies classes, as is proper. It is when idiots, politicians and self-apppointed religious demagogues attempt to force scientists to teach religious myths as science that they run aground. Religious mythology will always fail the most basic tenets of science. On the other hand, it is a popular and valuable part of a social studies education.

On this we agree. Religious dogma belongs in the churches.

6. red55

That's fine with me. Just don't try to teach it as science.

7. SabanFan

It still runs contrary to what the intent was. That's my opinion, Red. You won't change it so don't try. I won't try to change your mind on the subject either. Even though you're wrong.

8. red55

No, it doesn't. They wrote extensively on what their intent was. All you have to do is read them.

I'll just keep backing up my opinions with facts, thank you. Let whomever decide who is wrong.

9. SabanFan

Please point out to me where they stated their intent was to appease atheists by denying religious people their right to observe holidays, etc.

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I am not being obtuse, i am being exact. The term "Separation of Church and State" did not become a part of the legal speak until the Supreme Court used it in 1947.

I agree that the founding fathers wanted the government out of the religion business. However no where in the First Amendment does it explicitly state "separation of church and state" -- That interpretation was found in 1947. The text only makes mention of creating, backing or prohibiting religion.