Offensive line Pass blocking seems poor

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ARTiger, Oct 3, 2004.

1. ARTiger

ARTiger Founding Member

It seems like our pass protection is just not there this year. We got manhandled by the dawgs D yesterday. Our run game is good but how can you expect to move the ball when the QB doesn't have the time to throw?!?!?! The O-Line needs to step up and dominate not get pushed around.

And where's the intensity? Last year the guys seemed more pumped up and played like it. I haven't seen that much this year except maybe vs. Miss St.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's the run blocking as well as the pass blocking that has been weak. I admit that I am puzzled by the offensive line's performance. I think we all expected the new quarterbacks and receivers to take a while to develop into championship form. But the OL was supposed to be a strength on offense and should have dominated from the start. Instead they have underperformed in each game, except for the demolition of State.

There is talent and experience on this line, including two pre-season All-Americans that will be drafted high next spring. Big Andrew Whitworth is hurting his propects of an early exit to the NFL with his current play. Dependable Ben Wilkerson is not up to his standards of last year either. I just don't understand this.

Maybe Nick and coach Searles need to make some changes. Maybe Livings needs to go back to guard. Maybe WIll Arnold isn't ready to start yet. But when your All-Americans can come out "flat" in a game this big, there ain't much you can do, I guess. I expect Nick has some answers.

There has been a lot of talk about the leadership loss of Mauck, Lavalais, and Clayton. Clearly the loss of Peterman and Reed may have impacted this team just as badly.

3. ARTiger

ARTiger Founding Member

I definitely agree that there is talent along with experince. Livings just got burned today. Georgia was pumped up big time and when we come out flat you can't expect much.

Along with that goes the turnovers, we basically spotted them 14 pts.

4. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

Get Livings outta there. He was getting bitched around out there.

5. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

i think they are all big fat guys, anyone remember that superbowl when denver played the packers and just about everyone on the packers d line was about 320 and everyone on denvers o line was about 290, wonder how that turned out?, it seems like our o line men are out of shape, they cant pull on running plays, pick up a linebacker coming off the blitz because they have a little excess bagage, the guys playing well are the linemen that look lean , niswanger and whitworth, those guys look lean and full of muscle where as livings looks like he is about to fall over sometimes

6. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

Actually Livings reported to camp as probably the most physically fit guy on the team.

7. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

i guess it really showed yester day when the d line men didnt wrestle him to the ground or throw him to the ground, but simply pushed him, did you see that play, that was unbelievable for the guy that was soposed to have a breakout season