Offensive line

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Aug 6, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Everybody has commented on the fact that we are replacing three stalwarts on the offensive line and talented young guys will have to step up. But what do you make of the position changes Miles/Searles made in the spring? Big tackles Brian Johnson and Herman Johnson moved to guard. Guards Helms and Miller moved to center. Two new guys at tackle.

Why the changes do you suppose? How will it make us different?

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Probably has everything to do with first step quickness.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Could be several reasons, trying to get the best 5 on the field, they are better suited for their new positions or just trying to fill what the coaches consider weak spots. With Miles having played the position he should know what he's doing there, hopefully the changes will be good for the line but only time will tell. I haven't heard any comments by Miles as to why the changes were made.

4. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

russell will be forced to take off with the ball alot this year. i can see him getting frustrated early on when protection breaks down faster than he is use to. qb changes will come early.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'd reckon Miles is using more of his imput into what he wants out of the oline and that they've seen enough of these guys to know how there talents mesh with what he wants in an oline. With Big Herm I'm guessing he was moved because of footwork not being quite good enough to keep out the fast DE's on pass blocking.

I didin't notice last year, did we pull our guyards a lot or tackles? Seems as though that would be a detriment moving the big guys to guard if we pull them as much as some teams do.

6. clair

clair Rockets

i'm so sure... :nope:

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Where did Miller move from? I thought he was a true center, didn't realize he had played other places on the line...

8. LSU_Fan_In_OK

LSU_Fan_In_OK Founding Member

same here i thought he was recruited as a center even

9. clair

clair Rockets

I saw him play many-a times in high school, and he was always a center then, but they would use him as a "pull" center, he would always be quick enough to get the tackle, then get to the outside to block for the toss sweep, so i'm guessing maybe guard?

10. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Thats what I'm worried about, I don't think their fast enough to be pulling. It's usually the guards pulling. But I'm sure Miles knows more than us.