Office Air-conditioning is sexist

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Any temperature above 68 is reverse sexism.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

More than likely, office temperature settings have been historically standardized based on 2 things. AC was invented around the turn of the century when likely a huge majority of workers were men. Factories had women and kids too but the unions could only negotiate so fast and many had no AC at all. That means AC was also an elitist concept so Nixon "outs" herself that way as well, lol. The other reason it has been historically set to cooler temps is to keep folks awake thereby fostering productivity. Whenever I've had to attend meetings, etc in hotels, I always bring a sweater. I think the AC in those meeting rooms is set for a meat locker.

These days, other basic issues exist which is that men in office settings are typically wearing slacks/jeans, shirts (mostly long-sleeved), and maybe a jacket. Women are wearing dresses and the most likely to get in trouble for dress code violations. I think the move toward a more relaxed and casual environment for everyone makes more sense.

Lastly, Nixon is advocating an argument that is decidedly ageist. Has she not bothered to look around or talk to her menopausal girlfriends? At some point, women of a certain age, will want that AC on full blast somewhere around 60 degrees. At that point, nobody is looking at their nipples unless you are focused on their knees.

3. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Big shout out to Willis Carrier who vastly improved our quality of life with the invention of the AC. And all those who contributed before and after, of course. I'm going to be in D.C. in October, i wonder if there's a Willis Carrier museum, statue, or something at the Smithsonian?

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. It's not air conditioned.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    HalloweenRun likes this.
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no air there despite the name. knew someone who went in 2015.

6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Ok funny story.
    I have olive color skin and when in the sun a lot I could pass for a Mexican. My wife is from northern Minnesota and is almost full Norwegian. So we are up there in the Minnesota in a Small town getting breakfast at the cafe.
    At the table is my wife and I, my oldest son looks like me, second son who looks like wife and daughter who looks like me.
    So it looks like a blended family.
    Waitress comes around starts taking orders looks at me then my wife and roll her eyes and mumbles under her breath. i thought the shit was funny. Here i was soiling some pure Norwegian blood.
    So now whenever anybody talks shit about racism in the South I point to that day.
    So no I'm not whitey at least not in northern Podunk Minnesota.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Can you say Pencil Erasers?

8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Thank you God & Willis Carrier
    339808.jpg

LSUTiga, ROY_LA_CA, Herb and 2 others like this.
  9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Down here in SLA they keep it cold to keep the mold at bay. Ever smell an office building or hotel when the A/C craps out?

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Haven’t you all noticed that in the north they keep the building at 100* in the winter and we keep it cold in the summer? Two sides of the same coin.