Official LSU-Ole Miss Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Jan 26, 2005.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Ah, I see where you're coming from now... I didn't mean respect in that way though... I really should have used "recognition." You're right though, the bball program hasn't really earned any respect.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Bass is ready for the NBA right now. He's got the 18 foot jumper down and has the strength to play the 4. He could be a tad short at 6'8" but he's got all the tools. His dribbling is good enough to go to the goal from either wing, and that's all its got to be good from. If the draft was held today I'd bet he's a top 20 pick. I just hope he sticks around for atleast 1 more season.

3. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

And I think he will stick around one more year....next year has potential to be a great year....maybe even better than than the sweet 16 team with Stro and Jabari.

4. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

MikeD - I've gotta disagree with you - Bass is not ready. Now don't get me wrong, the Ohio St. game was unbelievable...but compared to Chuck Hayes (Kentucky), it's not even close. Bass still needs better hands. I think Big Baby complements him well and that combination will be awesome for the next year. As a season ticket holder, IMO I just don't see 100% effort at this point.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont claim to be a scout or anything, but i think he's a bit short for a 4 and not enough skill for a 3. on top of that i dont think hes mentally ready. he could easily be the leader of the team, but he disappears way too often. seems to be every game. it wouldnt be unusual, but i think if he goes after this year he wont see much action for a couple years. with his upside, he shouldnt go unless hes a lottery pick---to much money to lose.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

If you would take Chuck Hayes in the NBA over Bass, then you should talk to the Hornets about being GM. Seiously though... Bass has a great shot, he can get it off almost at will, especially when being played straight up. If he had a coach that could design plays that get him the ball in scoring positions, he'd look a lot better. In the league, he wouldn't be facing double and triple teams like he does here. Now when he gets the ball, the defense collapses down because our perimeter guys can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'm tellling you, if he and Hayes were guarding each other in the post without help, Bass would eat his lunch all day. Hayes plays on a great, disciplined team and it shows in what he is able to do in his games. You give me the choice between Bass or Hayes, I take Bass every time.

But I'm not a scout either.

Here are some mock 2005 NBA Drafts. One has Bass in the middle of the 1st. The others only have a 1st round. It seems like Chris Paul is the consensus #1 right now.

http://www.federicobuffa.com/2005draft.htm
    http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm
    http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2005mock1.htm

7. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

It was a fun game to watch, as an LSU fan. It was my first chance to see Big Baby and I see alot of potential. I swear though, if LSU werent so damn inconsistant we's be a final four lock. Ive never seen a team go from ice cold to steaming hot in a matter of minutes.

8. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

Mike - I picked Hayes just because of the recent game with Kentucky. IMO Hayes has better ball handling skills, which I think is very important in the NBA. I think Bass would benefit from another year w/Big Baby and Tasmin(and a real HC of course). Bass definately is the better of the 2 on defense...he was definately a machine last night. As gumborue stated earlier, it seems like Bass disappears at times - that along w/his ball handling skills is the only reasons why I say he is not ready.

9. friday

friday Founding Member

bass is not ready for the NBA - he needs to become a better ball handler and passer or he will continue to see more double teams.