Official Mike Williams Watch Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ElvisFan, Aug 25, 2004.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The difference is that Mike Williams was operating under the rules as they were at the time of his decision. When the rules changed, he gave the money back. Bloom took money, knowing he was still going to be in college, and wanted to continue receiving endorsements while playing football.

2. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Have To Disagree, Mobile

I don't think the NCAA changed any rules. Maurice Clarett challenged the rule in place. It went to court. While it was in court, Williams signed with his agent, then took a bunch of money and went to the Bahamas. I never heard the first legal analyst with any knowledge of sports law speculate that the courts would rule in Clarett's favor, so Williams was the victim of bad advice.

Well, too freakin' bad. So was Marquise. The guy signed with an agent, and I don't care how much money his parents paid back, he still derived a lot of benefit from his agent that cannot be repaid (trip to Bahamas or Bermuda or wherever, for instance).

All of that aside, I read somewhere that a new NCAA rule does not allow summer school hours to count for the minimum requirement to be eligible. As I understood the prior rule, by dropping out completely during the spring semester, there was virtually no way he could have remained eligible with just six hours from summer school to go with whatever hours he had from last fall.

Tell him to go play arena ball.

3. MobileBengal

No, you have a few facts confused. The NCAA never changed anything. They said, "Sign an agent, youre gone and good luck." The NFL said, "In order to be eligible for the NFL draft you must be 3 years removed from high school." Clarett said, "Wait a minute, thats not fair. It violates the Sherman Act!" The Sherman Act declares illegal, "every contract, combination...or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several states."

The court ruled in favor of Clarett. They agreed that he should be allowed to enter the draft. Well, when that decision was made, Mike WIlliams decided that he too would enter the draft. Weeks later the NFLs appeal was upheld, and the courts ruling reversed. At that point, Williams gave the money back to his agent, and re-enrolled in school.

4. 3amigosanddad

3amigosanddad Freshman

I disagree also with this statement. The NCAA rules at the time and they have been the same for a long time, is that once you declare for the draft and hire an agent you are ineligible, period, regardless of what the NFL says or does. The rules have not changed, So to say he broke no rules is false, he did, he hired an agent (remember Mark Roman). He should not be allowed back in, he should live with his decision. [​IMG]

5. MobileBengal

You people need to quit putting words in my mouth. At no point did I ever say that the NCAA had changed anything. At no point did I say that Mike Williams broke no rules. Everything that I have said is true. At the time Mike Williams made his decision, the NFL had been ordered by the courts to change the rules. The difference between Williams and Bloom, which was the original question I was answering, is that Williams reverted back to prior form- no money, no agent, back in class. Bloom wanted to keep the money, keep receiving money, and still play football. Those are the facts.

Do I think the NCAA should let him back? Hell no! He broke and NCAA rule, one that I referenced in my last post in this thread. That has absolutely nothing to do with Bloom, though.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I find it hard to believe that Mike Williams actually paid back all of the money that he got from his agent and from the trading card companies. I really doubt that he let that money burn a hole in his pocket just in case the ruling got overturned and he wanted to go back to school.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Well from the context of your statement, it sure seems like you were refering to the NCAA.. if you dont want to catch sh*t, be more specific.

Something i'm wondering about is the legitamacy of williams practicing with the condoms. if he isnt reinstated yet, how is he allowed to work out with them? didnt know a school could allow a professional (and williams is until he is reinstated) player to participate in their practices.

8. MobileBengal

Im not sure he REALLY paid back all of the money, either, but thats the way the story goes as of now. Sorry, I assumed since this was such a high profile story, one that has been discussed at length on this board, that people would be at least a little familiar with the court precedings. This has only been going on for forever.

9. jarad

jarad Founding Member

NCAA Rule: You must be enrolled in the previous semester to be eligable to play. Summer does not count. So he should not be able to play!

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Yeah he has two hurdles to clear. The first being his amateur status and then once that happens he has to get a waiver on his academic eligiblity because he is not on the track specified by the NCAA for making progress towards his degree.