Official NBA Thread 2013-2014 ed.

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Oct 29, 2013.

1. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

Um did you mistype Kawhi Leonard when you said Timmy?

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I heard on the radio right before the series started that Duncan said they would win it this year. Assuming that it was Duncan that said it?

3. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

I meant when you asked about best ever. He's still fringe of best of his own generation, you might say he shares that with Kobe ... but he hasn't carried teams the way Jordan, Kobe, Shaq even, Wilt etc carried teams

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

When I was a kid during the Magic/Bird era, Bill Russell was often mentioned in the best of all-time conversation. I never saw him play but guessing he's the best comparison to Duncan. Fortunate to be in a great system but still has a resume that is as good as anyone's.

Duncan also played four years of college with really good stats, which I think should be considered.

I was still in high school when friends would try to say Duncan was better than Shaq. I sided with Shaq and how he changed every aspect of the game with the attention he drew. I will always be a Shaq guy but it's hard to ignore Duncan's resume. What if he plays two more years and wins another ring or two?

He reminds me of this older big guy that I play with/against sometimes at the gym. Always getting the big rebound or block in a tight game. Makes the right passes on time. When he's doubled, if I cut to the goal, I get a pass that may even allow me to slap glass (which is rare for me these days in a game). Oh, and his team usually wins even though he doesn't stand out as the best player on the court.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So it's time to discuss the hit that LeBron will be taking regarding his legacy.

2 championships in 4 years with 2 other "premier" players at his side and "adequate" peripheral support

Spurs showing this year that last year should have never happened. So there's that.

b_leblanc likes this.
  6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

How can you really blame him for this year? The way the Spurs have been playing, I don't know if the Jordan Bulls or showtime Lakers would beat 'em.

7. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

Are you kidding me? Come on now, no need to make excuses for "The King"

8. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

Oh don't get me wrong, Duncan is probably the best power forward to play the game, definitely in the top 5 power forwards, I'm just not sure he would be in the conversation for best player ever anytime soon, even add some rings.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yep, spurs are just so damned disciplined. I was watching the game last night and thinking "Yep, westbrook would have jacked that up" "yep, KD would have shot that" "ibaka, all day" yet in each of those instances a spur would pass on a good shot to someone that had a better shot.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

best coached team 17 years running

.706 winning pct during regular season during that span

Only Phil Jackson has a winning pct over .700 for an entire NBA career at .704, just to put that 17 year run in perspective