Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Big World Cup fan. Netherlands have always been my team to follow outside the USA. I would change my avatar but we know how that goes.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I"ll have the TV on in the office. Finally, I can justify having cable. Games on all day. I'll leave the volume up just loud enough to hear the announcers go crazy if there's a goal.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Wait, now I'm confused. There was a world cup thread and now an official world cup thread.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm going to try and get into it although I probably said the same thing four and eight years ago (and I don't even know who won those years). I had an exchange student from Brasil when I was in high school. I'm wearing the Brasil soccer shirt today that he gave me almost exactly 20 years ago (plus a month or so).

I vaguely remember him telling me about the World Cup that year being in the US. I looked it up yesterday and Brasil won it. That was also part of my favorite 30 for 30, which was The Two Escobars from Columbia. Andres Escobar had an own goal against the US and was blamed for their early exit. He was murdered in Columbia about a month later. He seemed like a really good guy with good morals that was proud of his country. Unfortunately for him, soccer fans are nuts. Good to see that Brasil was able to overcome their similar situation early in the game.

That other 30 for 30 about the OJ car chase discussed how the NBA finals and World Cup in the US were all happening at the exact same time (and maybe something else?).

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Final score...Netherlands 5, Spain 1. Worst defeat of the defending champion in World Cup history.

6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Boom. This, I did not see coming. Now I am going to bore everyone with a bunch of tactical talk.

The Dutch lost 1-0 to Spain in the last World Cup. They lost all 3 games in the group stage at the Eurocup 2 years ago. The Dutch were finished as a National Team. New coach. New formation. Two years to get it to click.

They went from their 4-3-3 Total Football system, when it doesn't matter if you lose as long as the football looks good, to a 5-3-2 which emphasizes the long pass and counter attack... and that looked good. Van Persie had one of the best headers in World Cup history and Robben did what he couldn't do 4 years ago.

But then again....Spain is not who they once were. It is too early to judge.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Mexico wins even with a disallowed goal. That was BS. Chile survives after an early charge. Good game. Announcers were talking so much bullshit before Australia's goal.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Man I really thought Spain was better. Robben is awesome though. Good games today. Not a EUEFA fan but damn I love the cup.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I love playing with Robben and Van Persie on the Fifa games. Was fun to see them tear up Spain. I like a bunch of players around the world like Super Mario so I have a lot of teams to pull for which makes it fun to watch.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Anyone see the John Oliver piece on FIFA? Politifact rated it as true.