Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge that forms the following opinions but only two yellows over the course of several games sounds overly harsh. Not being able to replace an in game ejection is something I'd have to think about a little more. If you have an aggressive player on your team that has a yellow in a particular game, do you sub him out for a similar player (and tell him to be just as aggressive) to reduce the risk of an in game ejection?

I don't like the offside traps. IMO, I think that there should not be an offside call at all if the team on offense has passed the midfield line. This is one of those rules that non-soccer fans (like myself) have a difficult time grasping. I realize that "snowbirding" (not sure if this is only a basketball term?) should not be allowed but don't think offside traps should be allowed either.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm pretty sure it was the Costa Rica game that led me to asking the question about the offside trap.

I don't think I understand your comment that Van Gaal had the trump card. It sounded like you were saying that Costa Rica wanted the PKs but the Dutch did not (but the Dutch coach did?).

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It is harsh and that's why they are able to limit people doing dumb shit and pulling a Kyle Turley. It still happens like with Zidane but it's rare. If football was serious about head injuries which we know they only are because of lawsuits, they would implement something similar.

Now the traps, like I said, sometimes they backfire. Some linesmen don't like them and will give offenses the benefit because the traps are so obvious.

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

The game behind the game. A team will spend a ton of money to buy or develop their own DVD packages of all penalty kicks of the teams they might face. Much like a pitcher studying batters and vice versa.

Costa Rica is a very wild card. Not much is known on them and Greece paid the price by giving up all 5 kicks to the Ricans. Van Gaal sees this ahead of the match and knows that Costa Rica would rather play to penalty kicks than concede a goal during the playing time. He commits his back up goalie to do nothing but study and practice defending the Costa Rican penalty kick. He keeps it quiet. No one on the team knows this could happen. The starting goalie is unaware so as not to affect him during the game. It is a total surprise and a move even the announcers question. It was a very bold move and paid off big time. Tim Krul (the backup) gets into the Ricans head by telling them that he knows where they are going to kick the ball. He will stop it. His quick stop gives the Dutch some confidence and they finish their kicks well. The Costa Ricans get more nervous and eventually fail before the 5 are done.

Van Gaal would have been deemed a failure if the switch did not work out. Now he is the 'Mad Dutchman'. Van Gaal is the Les Miles of 2007 right now. Everything he calls works out.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Holy shit! Germany is burying Brazil! 4-0 in the 27th minute...they scored 3 goals in about 2 minutes.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I wonder if Germany will get to double digits before halftime?

7. mctiger

5-0, 29th minute. Unbelievable.

8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

The Flavelas will be in riot mode tonight. No Cup, no glory, no food, and a bazillion dollars spent.

9. mctiger

ESPN was saying in the pre-game show that there was a lot of political opposition to Brazil even bidding for these games.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If they scored like that all the time and the other team kept up with them soccer would be worth watching whenever the USA isn't playing