Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

It's been 4 years since those Ghanareans ripped out our hearts, today's game was some nice revenge.......I'm all in on the World Cup, you don't have to love soccer to love getting behind the stars and stripes!!

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

There is something in this seemingly innocuous post that is unsettling.

3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

@shane0911 When will you be in Manaus? The USA plays their second match (against Portugal) on Sunday (22nd). There was said to be 20,000 USA fans at the first game. The USA fans are called the American Outlaws and they travel well, make tons of noise, and party hard.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Not for a while. The crew is set to leave on the 14th of July so I'm sure the American team will have been bounced long before that. I will hope they win for no other reason than they are our guys and I never want us to lose anything but seriously, I have less than 0 interest in soccer. I'm going to be up a creek when we get there however because I know they will all want to go to a game. No way I'm walking the streets of Brasil without a wingman so I either have to suffer through that shit or just sit in the hotel room.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

With Soccer having so much history and easily being the #1 sport in the world, I don't get all of the hate from Americans. I don't know why we call it "soccer" but guessing it's one of the many reasons why the rest of the world doesn't like us much. What if China started up an American football league but called it "Pads" and constantly made fun of it?

I played soccer as a kid and a few times more recently with some of the international guys from work. I don't even know all of the rules though. My hand-eye coordination always helped me become better than average in most sports but unfortunately that doesn't have any benefit in soccer. I guess it's just what you practice. My off (left) hand in basketball is a big strength but my left foot in soccer is almost useless.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

IDK, it just never caught on here and after the WC is over what little flame is there now will die down again to barely a spark. Its just a hard sport to watch in my opinion. 6 acres of ground, you'd swear there were 100 of those fuckers out there, they play for, well no one ever really knows how long they play for because when time runs out some more time is added but no one ever really knows how much; 2 goals the size of arkansas and with all that you end up with a 0-0 tie, or 1-0.

The short answer is, it just sucks. Just my .02

Bengal B likes this.
  7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I get what you're saying and agree with some of it but I just think the hate is excessive. I'm talking more about how everyone calls it "gay" and stuff like that.

As I've mentioned on here a few times, one of my favorite King of the Hill episodes was when Bobby quit the football team to play soccer. Peggy was attempting to fit in with the materialistic soccer moms. Hank was upset that Bobby quit and had a conversation with him that went something like:

Hank: Bobby, soccer was invented by European ladies to keep themselves busy while their husbands were out fighting wars.
    Bobby: Dad, don't hate what you don't understand.
    Hank: Bobby, I don't hate you.
    Bobby: No dad, I meant soccer.
    Hank: Oh well, yeah. I do hate soccer.

There was also a scene when Bobby's team went out for ice cream after the game and the coach said "Another tie, everyone wins!!!"

8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Here is a challenge:

Brazil 0 - Mexico 0. Tie game. Both teams get 1 point. However, This is a big win for Mexico. Something they will be talking about for years to come. It is not a good result for Brazil.

Sound off explanations:

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Huge for Mexico. Brazil I heard looked like shit, didn't get to watch.

Anyone hear about some gotcha journalists sneaking into Croatia's private pool and taking pictures of them naked in the pool and releasing it? Croatian players are now boycotting the media. Weird story.

Anyway, the United States is probably going to be minus Jozy and Dempsey's nose is broken. Still have to play Portugal who is minus Pepe and his dumb ass with the red card for the head butt, and it wasn't even a bad ass Zidane head butt it was a pussy one. Germany is also down a few players so who knows.

Messi finally scored in an Argentine uniform though.

I of course root for USA, but I also love the motherland so viva la France!!!!

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

braxil
    Ok. No one is up for the challenge.

A huge win for Mexico. They sucked ass and had to play a qualifying game just to get in to the World Cup. They change coaches twice along the way. They were dismal. But... got a win vs. Cameroon. Salvaged a tie against Group favorite Brazil. Now they are just a point away from advancing to the round of 16. Unheard of a year ago.

Brazil is the host country. Won the Confederations Cup a year ago. Are one of the favorites to go all the way. Now they are just a freak loss away from bombing out and a complete disaster.

To be fair. Mexico goalie was lights out today. Stopped some chances that maybe should have gone in. Nevertheless... a great showing by Mexico and Brazil must show for game 3.