Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

GEAUX USA! But I still hate soccer. It might be a fun game to play but it is excruciatingly boring to watch. They should change the rules to make it a higher scoring game.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And when a game ends in a tie in regulation everybody lines up to kick free goals. Can you imagine if Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham and Pierre Thomas all had to try field goals?

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I've always said put a few handfuls of landmines out there. Not the killing kind just some less powerful ones that would maybe throw someone for a loop or two.

Or monkeys with machine guns. Turn loose about a dozen monkeys with ak's or mac- 10's with rubber bullets.

That would be fun to watch.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did you ever see the movie Rollerball with James Caan? Now that would be a great sport to watch

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It goes to show you the short attention spans Americans have. Sometimes I think that movie Idiocracy is more of a real look into the future rather than a satire.

Football is 0-100 in a few seconds, then the game stops, everyone gets a short break, one side of the ball could get a very long break depending on circumstances. You also see big fat fucks out there, slobs who if not for football could do nothing else except maybe enter into the Coney Island hot dog eating contest. Soccer is non stop, 1 break and scoring is not guaranteed. Football has to change the rules every year so offenses can score more to keep Americans satisfied. It's actually kind of sad when you think about it.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That reason Football changes the rules when necessary to tweak the game is because the NFL gets it.
    Just look how the rulesmakers have fucked up college baseball. 4 days into the College World Series and there has yet to be a single home run hit. Crowds are down by an average of 3,000 per game.

If more Europeans and Latinos were exposed to real football they would soon be as bored wathing soccer as I am. So what if soccer is non stop nothing. So is the drying of paint and the growing of grass.

I see you disrespecting the game of football on this thread but then posting your positive comments on other threads? Are you schizophrenic?

Here's how to make soccer more watchable and fan friendly. First, the field is too big. 100 yards long and 53.3 yards wide is the perfect size for football with 22 players on the field. Soccer, like baseball, can't decide on a uniform field size. From 120 to 120 yards long and from 70 to 80 yards wide. There is too much empty space for the nothingness to happen.

1. Reduce the size of the field to something a little larger than a basketball court or a hockey arena. Maybe the same size as an arena football field.

2. Reduce the number of players. Maybe 6 plus a goalie or 8 plus a goalie.

3. Players wear padding and helmets. More hitting is allowed. Not to the level of football but
    maybe something on the order of hockey without the sticks.

4. Put in a shot clock. Not a 24 second clock but maybe something on the order of 2 or 3 minutes.
    This would eliminate all the crap a team does when they get a 1-0 lead and then try to spend
    the whole rest of the game playing footsie to keep the ball out of the other teams feets.

5. More time outs. Sure, ESPN is carrying the World Cup but no American TV network is going
    to regularly carry soccer if there aren't enough time outs to get their commercials in and pay
    the bills. More time outs would give fans in the stands more opportunites to buy a beer or
    a hot dog and to take a leak without missing any of the game.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Bullshit, rules are made in football to protect 1 thing and 1 thing only. REVENUE. I don't mind defense. There was an Alabama Tennessee game about 6 or 7 years ago that ended 6-3. To me it was awesome. The 9-6 LSU win was beautiful. I don't need a shit load of scoring to keep my attention. Most Americans do. That's a fact like it or not. I love both sports. If that makes me a skitz then so be it. What I don't love is constant rule changing to ensure offenses score a lot of points to ensure a lot of people aren't turned off, you may stop your internal dialogue now.

I don't watch big 12 or PAC 12 football because it's fucking stupid. 70 points? Really? I'll just play madden on easy mode. The NFL is the same way, but fantasy football makes that ok. Which is a whole other reason to ensure there is a lot of scoring.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

And My Dutch are safely to the round of 16.

9. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Nope that will never happen. The NFL tried that in Europe and it was a big fail. Soccer is interwoven into the fabric of their lives.

We have that. It is called the MISL. You probably never heard of it. The majority of the USA does not and will never understand soccer and the flow of the game.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Spain = Pacers