Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

NFL Europe was a watered down version of the real thing. When NFL teams play in London once or twice a year the games are sellouts. I know that Roger Goodell would love to put a team in London but even if its popular I don't know how it would work. Would they be in a division with American teams having to play home and home within their division? Would opponents who had to travel to London get their bye week after that game? Players might not want to play and live in London for many reason, not the least is England's excessive taxation.

And yes, I have heard of the MISL. Its a step in the right direction but put some pads on the players and let them hit each other. Not like in football but like checking in hockey. I don't know if they have MISL leagues in Europe but if they tried it the game might not replace regular soccer for those people but might be at least as popular as Arena Football is here in the USA

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I understand trying to expand the brand but I am on the side that thinks an NFL team in London is a horrible idea. Mostly due to travel logistics. I also don't like Thursday night games.

Our best athletes are playing football and basketball. What if we fielded a national team featuring Lebron James at midfield, Adrian Peterson at forward, etc...we would crush the world.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Spain = 3 out of the last 4 defending World Cup champions to go out in the group stage.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

1st to lose their first 2 games.

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Oh how the mighty has fallen.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its a terrible idea unless there were a European division. I think NFL football would go over big in London but I'm not sure about Rome, Paris and Berlin. It may happen anyway. I've heard that the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars would be open to a move to London. That would be horrible if they stayed in the AFC South with Houston, Tennessee and Indianapolis.

And of course if the best American athletes were playing soccer it might not even be a contest.
    I see everybody on this thread talking about Spain and the Netherlands and Brazil and all those counties teams. I might watch some when the USA plays but as soon as they are eliminated I lose all interest. At least the American women once won a Women's World Cup, or I think they did. The one where Brandy Chastain ripped off her sports bra after the win.

7. LaSalleAve

I think it would be funny as hell watching football players out there playing soccer. Can you imagine 11 on 11 offensive and defensive linemen playing. There would be people sitting down on the field, maybe a few defensive ends would be going hard. Every goal the scoring team is awarded a Philly cheesesteak sammich.

8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Yeah, the women won a couple in the 90's and were runners up last go round. Girls don't have many professional sports going for them so we have some of our best female athletes playing that game.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

While there may be some truth to that by the same token can you imagine soccer players trying to cover Jimmy Graham or Larry Fitzgerald or get open on a pass route against Richard Sherman?
    Or protecting the quarterback against an all out blitz?

10. LaSalleAve

That would also be hilarious, they would fall down and be carted off and back in 2 plays later.