Officials

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shane0911, Oct 27, 2007.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Is it just me or does it seem as if NONE of the ref's for any game seem to have it together. I'm watching the Fla/Ga game and the crew is just awful. Add to it the call in the UCONN game and a boat load of others and it just seems like the worst year for officials? Thoughts, comments?...

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

The Fla/Ga ref crew is the same one that officiated our game last week (LSU/Aub). If you noticed, they've called a lot of not enough men on the line of scrimmage this game. :lol:

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Seems to be some pretty unsatisfactory crews all over. Not sure what they can do about it though. They are human.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

In this game alone I've noticed two personal fouls against Ga that were not, the Ref has lost track of downs at least twice. I understand they are human but they are supposed to be proffesional as well and it just looks JV to me. Not just this game, all across the NCAA this season. The worst I've seen in years.

1 person likes this.
  5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Me too, I was thinking we could make this thread a sticky and add examples of "Game changing" performances by officials each week. :grin:

7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Look these guys "suck", period! At the end of this year if the SEC doesn't sit down and have a review of these "buttheads" they're doing the SEC as a whole a great injustice. I'm afraid though that if some major SEC financial contributors don't bring it up, expect very little action.

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I wonder sometimes if it's the ability of the crew to work effectively as a unit. Individually, officials must have years of experience at the Pop Warner through HS levels before being seriously considered. The NFL requires 10 years of experience at a minimum before hiring, and then they must endure background and psychological examinations (not sure what the NCAA or individual conferences require.) The point is that individually, officials must be very experienced and well-qualified to work at the NCAA Div. I-A level.

BUT, using the NFL as an example, officiating quality is perceived to drop during the postseason. A lot of people believe it's due to the NFL's practice of cobbling together a team of "MVP" officials at all positions during the playoffs (recently reinstated as of the 2005 season). Their individual performances may be stellar, but they don't necessarily have a lot of experience working together as a squad. Of course I don't know if that's the case with poor performances from year to year in the SEC/NCAA (or if it's more of an oversight problem by the coordinator of officials) but during the game the referee is only the messenger; the calls come in from one of 7 different officials.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I think there should be public lynchings of officials that make bad calls. String a couple of 'em up, and I bet we'd have less problems. To justify the risk, pay them all mid-level coaches salaries. Football is much to important to not hold the refs accountable. :grin:

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

The most telling penalty of the Fla/Ga game was a, "not enough men on the line ," call against Georgia. The flag was thrown by a ref who paniced while Georgia was making a big gain and forgot that he was 25 yards down field when he threw the flag.

And how do you NOT call a face mask penalty when a player gets his helmet pulled off his head by another player who has a solid grip on the facemask?