Offseason? How Bout Coaches Rankings...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I think that list sucks......Here is mine:

1. Urban Meyer - I hate the guy and think he's dirty but he is a great coach
    2. Les Miles - Has compiled a great record since joining LSU and has the most recent NC of the group
    3. Nick Saban - I put Miles ahead of him simply because if I had a choice between the two, I take Miles. Saban is risky, he can piss people off so Miles gets the nod
    4. Mark Richt - Great coach and if he ever wins an NC he moves up.
    5. Tommy Tubberville - Very good coach but let's see what he can do with Saban in his backyard. I predict over the course of the next three years he falls down this list.
    6. Steve Spurrier - I don't think his game works in college like it used to.
    7. Bobby Petrino - I don't understand why he would be lower than this. He is a great coach and just because he hasn't played a game in the SEC doesnt' change that fact
    8. Sylvester Croom - Just because youdon't win doesn't mean you're a bad coach
    9. Houston Nutt - Good coach but certainly could have handled that situation at Arkansas better, of course everyone could have handled it better.
    10. Phil Fulmer - I've never been sold on him. This is lower than most would put him
    11. Rich Brooks - Not a bad coach
    12. Bobby Johnson - Not a statement about his coaching ability as it is a statement on my lack of knowledge of anything he's done.

So anyway, that's my opinion.

2. jreed999

jreed999 Founding Member

Now c'mon - a WHOLE LOT of people were saying that Miles was winning with Saban's players. Plenty of talking heads repeated the same thing, and plenty of people chatted back and forth about it on the internet. I would hardly say this guy was the only "hater."

3. clair

clair Rockets

10th in the SEC?

I know people had doubts, but damn that is a big doubt.

I don't care. He is entitled to be wrong if he wants to. Just sayin'. It's ridiculous.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

But to his credit, that was before Miles had won the SEC and the BCS championship. At least he's willing to give him props now, instead of saying Miles just got lucky off of Saban's players (like so many tend to believe).

5. clair

clair Rockets

I hardly call 5th in the league "credit", but to each his own, I guess.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Meyer:
    -took over a 5-6 team at Utah, went 10-2 his first year and undefeated his second
    -Won the national title in his second year at Florida
    -has an overall record (Utah and Florida) of 53-10
    -Has had a couple of top two recruiting classes

I'd say he's one of the best coaches, but that's just me.

7. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

This is an amazing "who's who" list of coaching and they're all in the SEC. We often say that the 5th or 6th place team in the SEC could be 1st or 2nd in many other conferences.

From this list, it appears the same could hold true for coaches in the SEC.

Considering the teams, coaches, fan base, attendance, bowl appearances, national titles, etc. - we've got it pretty good in the SEC.

For LSU...winning two championships and having one of the top winning percentages in the nation over the last five years is pretty awesome but when you consider the competition we've faced (players & coaches) it's even more remarkable.

SEC: :crystal::crystal::crystal::crystal:

EVERYBODY ELSE: :crystal::crystal::crystal::crystal::crystal::crystal:

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Since I know how much you love the PAC 10 I'll break the news to you that their 7th place team beat our SEC Runner up last year.

The year before, the PAC10 Champ smoked our runner up.

9. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

C'mon tiga...that's one game.

Their #1 team also lost to Stanford...who lost to Notre Dame...who lost to Navy, Air Force, and the Little Sisters of the Poor.

The Pac-1 is good but they're NOT the SEC!

1 person likes this.
  10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The monicker "Lesticals" was used often this past season with some of the calls that were called during game situations last year. Those calls were successful, but calls like that during games don't garner a lot of respect from those who cover football because they realize if it had gone the other way it could have resulted in a loss. When I've spoken with reporters that cover the SEC they often refer back to the time-out call, the "I'm the Head Coach" blurb caught on TV. Then, they go back to some of the things he's said when he was at OSU.

Point being, it's going to take more time for him to get the credit you want him to receive in the media. I know it isn't a popular notion and thought here, but there are still a lot out there that have their doubts about Miles. He's done well in his last few years, to that there is no doubt. Squashing lingering questions isn't something done overnight despite last year.