Offseason? How Bout Coaches Rankings...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

First of all, what does this have to do with Saban? STFU?

Guaranteed loss?

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

He HAS done more than just last year to earn respect. He has the same number of MNC as your God, and a better career winning %. Yet people still think Saban is the second coming, and Miles is an idiot. He has the same number of SEC championships and MNC as Meyer (plus a winning record against him), yet Meyer is ranked above him.
    In fact, of the 4 guys ranked above him on this list, only Richt has a winning record against Les.

yeah, in that Florida game, not going for it = not making it= no go ahead TD=loss.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You have taken this thread into a Miles vs Saban thread and there isn't a reason to do so. My comments were about why he was ranked that way and why journalist have that opinion of him.

Those opinions aren't based on just the Florida game.

Quite frankly, the notion that some think his is a God is something I can't fathom. He's a football coach.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

You must have missed the last 2 sentences of my post.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

What other games are there?

UK? go for it on 4th down when down by a TD in OT?

The fake FG vs. SC? Hardly affected the outcome.

The pass against AU? That was an execution issue by the QB, not by Miles.

The 4th down against Bama? down by a TD with less than 3 minutes to go?
    an obvious call any other coach would have made

So, where are thse reckless calls? How is not going for it in these situations any less of a gamble than going?

6. clair

clair Rockets

My feeling and I'd imagine Nooch and a few others here as well is that:

LSU was damn good ALL THREE YEARS and that is really, really hard to maintain in the SEC.

To just say "oh, he won the SEC this year and the National Title" is kinda lame, because those aren't things LSU is in 100% control of.

11-2
    11-2
    12-2

34-6 overall.

He didn't overnight become any smarter or any more capable because West Virgina choked and lost to Pitt.

Dude is a great coach either way and doesn't get nearly the credit some of his lesser qualified peers get.

1 person likes this.
  7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

:tigereye:

8. clair

clair Rockets

either way... they worked...

you can speculate that "oh, this might not always work," but until it doesn't, you have to accept that it works.

If you pitch inside a lot, you might beam a hitter. But until you hit 3-4 in a row, keep doing it if it gets outs.

I cram for all my tests. If I ever make a 30% F, I might study more in advance. But until that day, I cram on.

We going by physical, tangible things. The gambles and the "wreckless" coaching worked. You can't take that away.

Naysayers are going by what might happen in the future or what could have possibly happened if it didn't work.

If being straight-line and by the book means losing to ULM at home, then I rather be wreckless.

9. khounba

khounba Founding Member

The thing I love is how people would criticize him for underachieving with the talent he had, and now that he allowed that talent to win games for him people criticize that too.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I sure did, it's the end of the year ranking that counts and if you don't believe that, we're not NC Champions.

I never was one to say we played X number of top ten teams unless it was such on the final polls; otherwise, we'd need to go no further than preseason polls to pick a Champion.