Oh how the perception has changed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LEGACY TIGER, May 5, 2010.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Thinking and expanding a bit on the not so special preseason rankings that have us not even ranked in the top 25 I find myself wondering how things could turn so quickly. Not just 2 yrs ago we won the BCSNC, backing into the BCSNCG even after a 2 loss season due to SOS and CLM being a great salesperson. We had the respect of our peers and the media enough to get into the game, based on the relevance we were in the national landscape of college football. In 2003, we started our road to dominance and relevance backing our way into the BCSNCG due to SOS and the public perception of just how much we were relevant to the landscape of college football.

Just 2 yrs removed from this it is apparent that the mighty have fallen to the point that we can't even garner a preseason ranking in the top 25 by some media pundits. Given the same scenario as we went thru in 2003 and 2007 I don't think we would get the same consideration now as we did then. Amazing how 2 tough seasons, due to rebuilding, or poor coaching, or whatever the factors maybe a program that has dominated the past decade can fall so quickly from the public eye. Many have stated that we never have really been embraced by the media, and maybe that is the case. Them just waiting for the chance to be able to step away from us. Regardless of the reasoning it is apparent that it doesn't take long for the media and the pundits to turn their backs on you.

Unfortunate and sad, but also true. I can only hope that Miles and the Tiger players will take this to heart and use it in addition to their talents to motivate themselves and prove to the college football world that we are still very much a program at the top of the food chain. That our program has not slipped into the abyss. That we are the LSU Tigers, 2 Time BCSNC's and undefeated in BCS games, that we dominate in our OOC, that we have been a dominant force in the SEC, and that we are not some second tier team.

Just a few thoughts that came across my mind this morning. No this is not some alarming the sky is falling cry for this team and coaching staff to be put on notice. Just an observation of the turning times and how quickly things can change. As I have stated in many other posts, I believe that CLM and the Tigers will be improved on many levels this upcoming season, and that we will put the SEC and the rest of the college football world on notice, "Never Count Us Out" WE ARE THE LSU TIGERS AND WE WILL NOT BE SECOND TO ANYONE, or at least not for very long. :geaux: :tigereye: :LSU231:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Remember it's the off-season and columnists generate website hits by being controversial. This is one guy, it ain't the AP poll.

One sportswriter's eye. The public hasn't forgotten about the SEC top tier or that we are in it. Five of the last seven championships and two of those are LSU's.

On anybody. USC is not getting its usual respect either.

When the major polls come out we should be somewhere between 12 and 16. It really doesn't bother me if we are under the radar this season. Our two major opponents are very overconfident and ripe for upsetting.

3. BigHenry07

BigHenry07 Some who call me.....Tim?

Hey guys, first time poster.

I don't worry too much about preseason rankings (be they AP or just an analyst.) I think that the first game of the season will be huge for LSU, though. I kinda look at this year's ACC-SEC kickoff game like I look at game 2 years ago. Everyone thought that Alabama-Clemson would be a good game between two highly ranked teams. Alabama came out, destroyed Clemson, and went on to have a mighty fine season. LSU has an opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the season, with the Kickoff game this year. Although UNC isn't as highly thought of as Clemson was (at the time), neither is LSU. If LSU can come out, play an all around solid game, and beat UNC handily, that will give the tigers some confidence, which they lacked last year.

Let the rankings fall where they will. If we take care of business, they will have no choice but to respect us.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Legacy Tiger has some good thoughts... and the thread is about perception, right??

In a "what have you done for me lately" world, perceptions change fast.

What has happened in the SEC "lately" is an Alabama/Florida dominance that is making the conference look top heavy. Those two teams, like it or not, have posted a 33-3 record in conference the past two years, with two of the losses against each other. To add to the "perception", the other "usual suspects" who think they are contenders are all around .500 in conference wins the past two years (actually, I think Georgia is 10-6 in that span, but you get my drift...).

So the SEC now gets hit the same media bullets that have been fired at the Big 12 and Big Ten for years. The good news is none of the bullets have ever killed anyone.

What LSU needs to avoid is playing 5-3 or worse in the conference when two other teams are going undefeated. Until someone steps up and breaks the new mold, the polls are going to reflect the separation. Perception is a tough lover.

1 person likes this.
  5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Good post, that's why I wouldn't jump off any tall buildings this summer. Besides when all these major polls hit the stands, LSU will be somewhere in the middle of the top 25.

When I was coming up, you waited till summer to read these college mags greatest predictions for the season, now there's no end to these articles.

When Saban was hired at Bama, "around the horn" columnist Bill plaschke stated "it didn't matter who the coach is at Alabama, they were irrelevant, and would remain irrelevant" What a space cadet.

When LSU beats NC, and West Virginia, the lovefest will began all over again.

6. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

All perfectly valid points, so I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. LSU plays in the SEC....win the West, go to the SEC Championship game....with a little luck take the Gators out and THEN THE BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IS A GIVEN.

LSU's fate is in its own hands, my friends. Take care of business and nobody can keep us out. What more can you ask for in this world?

Point being, if LSU is not in the championship game we have nobody to blame but LSU. The way to a BCS Championship is wide open to LSU. That is the benefit of playing in the best conference in football.

:lsup:

1 person likes this.
  7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Yeah? Ask Auburn how much of a given that particular scenario is.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

The way I have seen things the past couple of years, even with losing more games then normal, LSU is almost always ranked higher than those with the same record.

There is no reason that anyone who is not biased would not put LSU in a top 25...

9. HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre Founding Member

I hope you guys don't mind me popping off a little, but I think part of the issue you're facing is the media is extremely fickle and turns on anyone or anything to tear it down at the first opportunity.

In your specific case, add to that natural compunction the fact that two other SEC teams are getting all the love right now and there just isn't enough room in the media black-hearts for 3 "special" teams in the same conference. They have their SEC-East favorite (UF) and their SEC-West favorite (Alabama). In their minds, that's all they need.

At least take heart the media loves the SEC. You're just one win over Alabama away from being right back in the catbird's seat.

As a Trojan fan, we either go undefeated or get the crap pounded out of us from a thousand different directions for years on end. Even going 12-1 or 11-1 is proof of how "weak" we are.

It's our cross to bear, I know, and I expect no sympathy, but as someone who likes LSU best in the SEC I just wanted to maybe help you good peeps put this into a somewhat realistic perspective.

Go out and kick-azz in 2010 and all will be forgiven. :geauxtige

1 person likes this.
  10. HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre Founding Member

Fair or not, this is also true.