Oh how the perception has changed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LEGACY TIGER, May 5, 2010.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Sports media people have got to be some of the most spineless and fickle people on this earth. We had a worse season the year after winning a national championship than last year, and started the season in the top ten. I'm not sure we will enjoy that same treatment again, but I seriously doubt we don't start out in the top 20. Yes, that would almost nix our chance of a national championship unless we have a perfect season, but it is still possible.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Thanks man. My condolences on Kiffin. I wouldn't wish that on anybody, not even Notre Dame....ok, probably Bama.

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

That's sorta my point. As pointed out by hecter the media falls in and out of love so quickly it can make your head spin. My point is that given the exact same situations as in 2003 and 2007 I don't think we get the opportunity to play in the BCSNCG now.

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Las Vegas would never give odds on your 2007 season. That was a miracle.

Looks like the perception of the media is running parallel to many contributors on Tiger forum.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, it's our job to be loyal fans. Theirs is to tell the stories and fickle is the game in that competitive business. LSU is not going to be a "story" team every year, nobody is. We've had our share. This is going to be a blue-collar year and everybody knows it. We have a high talent level but no superstars. Some high-profile games but a very tough schedule. No story here so far. It doesn't mean there ain't a damn strong team here, they just haven't earned much ink yet.

6. red55

It was earned on the field by beating the #1 team in the country, there was no better team in 2007 than LSU. Getting to the BCS game is always a miracle, Bama had a couple of them last year and so did Florida in '08.

It doesn't look like that to me. The consensus here is that LSU will definitely finish in the top-25.

7. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I agree Red, its our job to cheer and root for LSU as fans no matter what. Its also the medias job to build you up, only to tear you down. I also agree that Im feeling good about the team for the upcoming season. Its up to them to prove themselves and where they belong on the field. Honestly, if LSU is 2-2 against Bama and UF, and not 8-8 in the SEC we would be getting the media attention weve grown accustomed to.

While we dont have any proven offensive superstars, Patrick Peterson is a superstar. He will be first team All American and the Thorpe winner.

8. red55

Don't you jinx him! :grin:

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I would agree, which just validates my point. The love the media/public had for us then is part of what contributed to us getting in, in addition to how tough of a schedule we had. Losing 2 games, even if in OT, was the first time during the BCS era, and probably the last time a 2 loss team gets in over any 1 loss team, depending on who that might be.That same love doesn't exist right now. As Red pointed out, we also haven't given any reason to have that love. In a, as Hawk points out, "What have you done for me lately" world, we haven't done anything to garner the public perception that we did back then. Which is the very core of my point, that it is astonishing to me how fast, just 2 yrs, those tables can turn. It isn't as if we have really gone anywhere, we are right here. We, just like many programs, are going thru the normal down cycle that happens in college football. When you sit on top of the mountain for so long, everyone you face will bring their A++++ game in order to take a shot at victory to take down the giants. Bama and UF will start to feel this and watch the tables turn on them just as quickly.

As to the perception being similar between the media and TF members, I don't think that is the case at all. Most TF members, as well as most Tiger fans, in my opinion believe that we are a top 25 team, and we will finish the 2010 season as a top 25 team. Are there those that are vocal and parallel the media, sure there are, but they are a vocal minority, IMHO. For the most part many, if not most, LSU fans are more cautiously optimistic as to how our 2010 campaign will turn out. Confident that on talent alone we can win 8-9 games. The difference to getting to 10+ win season is all in the coaching and execution. If this team plays to their potential, if the coaches utilize the talent and get the play from the players that has been our expectation over the past decade, if the team has a few players step up and be that special leader that drives the team with determination and heart, and if Les Miles leads this team with the determination and drive as he did in his first 3 yrs we will be at the top of the SEC this year.

I am looking forward to seeing this team come out with the utmost determination and heart. Looking forward to seeing how much JJ improves, the run game improves, the OL improves, and the D improves. To seeing our WR's play at a level above that over the past 2 seasons. Looking forward to seeing our special players, Peterson, Russell S, and others lead this team back to the glory of just 2 years ago. Doesn't have to be a MNC, but getting to the top of the SEC and being a contender, that is what this team and coaches will bring this year. :geaux: :tigereye: :LSU231:

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

One poll does not a media make. This latest one is the only one I can recall that has LSU out of the top 25. I 've seen you as high as 7 (bleacher report, sorry probably not much help) and as low as 23 in one preseason poll.

Oddly, no one has picked a number one besides Bama, that I have seen.