Oh how the perception has changed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LEGACY TIGER, May 5, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Surely you know the difference between an article and a poll?

The point was that your notion that the LSU fans mirror the media perception of the Tigers is completely wrong.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Yes, and don't call me "surely." Article: a, an, the. Poll: opposite of rich.

I know all these preseason polls are media induced and driven, closely followed by an article to explain the so-called logic that went into it. So?

Over all media perception: somewhere around the 15th slot, ole soothsayer.

3. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

While the SEC is still clearly the top to bottom conference it has weakened a bit the last few years. Before you could make an argument for a few teams to win each division. Right now Bama and UF are the serious, odds on favorite to win their respective divisions. So the perceptions arent totally false. LSU, UGA, Tennessee, and Auburn have fallen a bit the last few years. Ole Miss and Ark are usually tough, in the middle teams capable of a big win but not usually going to compete for the grand prize. Until the aforementioned teams prove they can compete with Bama and UF the perception will be that the SEC has slightly fallen. Although its still the top conference you dont have 4-5 teams that are coming into the season with legit national championship aspirations and a top 10 caliber team. Like I said, if LSU beats Bama or UF and finishes better in the SEC we getting the same respect as before.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Once again, how would it be different if LSU would have left Oxford last year with a win instead of that end game disaster. Again, i think that game alone has left a scar on Les Miles' reputation across the nation. It's amazing what 1 second can do.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think you maybe onto something here my friend. And yes, it is amazing, but then again life is made up of seconds and inches.

6. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

I think we all agree with your first statement --- It takes a whole lot of luck to win the BCS and I can’t think of a team that didn’t have at least one “scare” along the way. But, as far as a consensus here on TF for us finishing in the top twenty-five, there’s certainly some posts expressing concern that we may collapse. The last two seasons coupled with QB play in the spring game sure aren’t the best confidence builders.

While I think that we have a very good chance to finish in the top ten with no more than two regular season loses and a bowl win that brings up an interesting question: How many contributors on TF think that finishing in the top twenty-five is a good year?

I think that most of us would be disappointed with finishing in the bottom of the twenty-five even though that would be an improvement over last year.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Dunno why any LSU fans would be worried about what this rascal says in his "poll". There's a ton of speed and talent remaining, some good leadership, and an experienced coaching staff that will likely be more cohesive this season. LSU fans should feel optimistic.

Who knows .... if you snuggle up jes' right to Mr. Slive and Mr. Redding, you'll likely go undefeated and carry out the BCS crystal. :wink:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Ah, but we have an ace up our sleeve this season if the SEC office tries any funny business. Mark Emmert, our former chancellor who engineered the Saban to LSU move, is now president of the NCAA. :hihi:

1 person likes this.
  9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not so much worried about what some SI or ESPN reporter has to say, but more what the public perception has become, as compared to just 2 years ago. Auburn can relate to this. You guys go undefeated in 2004, but since you were not the media darlings as some other teams were, your accomplishments were diminished and you didn't get the opportunity you had rightfully earned. LSU, just 2 yrs removed, got all the benefit and much of that was due to the public perception of just how great we were. Given that exact same scenario I don't think LSU would get the same consideration now. Not that we have done anything to earn it, but it is amazing how quickly the media can sweep you under the rug and find new loves. They are fickle as hell and don't always seem to look at the bigger picture. I agree that the Ole Miss fiasco is probably a big factor in this. Bottom line is every program goes thru down periods for various reasons and we all go thru this.

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

It was more than perception that hurt the 2004 Auburn team. They were not far removed from canceling their football series with Florida State, for the second time. Their 11 game schedule consisted of Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadel, and Louisiana Tech. Reality of a poor schedule got Auburn. Had they beat up on Florida State that year, it could have been different.

Even a one loss LSU team, with your schedule, that ends up winning the seccg, will carry as much weight as any one loss team in the nation. Now, if you're trying to figure out how to duplicate the 2007 season, I wouldn't have a clue.