Oh how the perception has changed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LEGACY TIGER, May 5, 2010.

1. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Repeat after me - Ole Miss beat us in everything!!!!!! That my friends is how bad it is... Reality is sometimes brutal!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hey, the Opelika newspaper has Auburn as National Championship in 2004. Bama and Oklahoma each claim a half-dozen championships that no one else recognizes. I don't care what USC claims.

The 2003 crystal football lives at LSU, not half of it, all of it. The MacArthur trophy that moves each year to the NCAA recognized champion lived at LSU in 2004. USC was not even in the championship game, claiming a national championship by finishing #1 in a newspaper popularity poll is pathetic. Of the 11 BCS polls and rankings, LSU won 9. LSU won the BCS game and was also consensus winner in the polls and computer rankings.

You are at the wrong place to promote USC.

3. red55

Not if it wasn't a consensus championship. LSU won the 1962 National Championship on the Berryman poll. We don't claim that when USC and Ole Miss had a dozen polls each. The National Champion was one of them. Since the advent of the BCS the matter is simple, polls and rankings just get you into the BCS game, after that the championship is decided on the field. USC came up short and they just wont admit it. They think they were entitled to it and were somehow robbed. Bullchit.

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Wrong again. You brought this subject up. The context of the thread is how "perception" determines the rankings and thus the match ups in the bowl season. My use of the word USC was to show how Auburn was not beating out USC or OK for the 04 championship game.

As far as my preference to accept a Dual championship is really very simple. If Miss Alabama doesn't win in the Miss America pageant, there's still the Miss USA Pageant to go.

5. TUSKtimes

Berryman poll? Look I'm obviously a little more liberal than your perspective of the titles through NCAA history. But in that age, the bragging rights would have been between AP and UPI, (Miss America, Miss USA)

Auburn can claim Golf Digest if they want to in 04, pass out rings, but outside Auburn, no one is listening.. If LSU wins either of these "major" polls, this fan base is claiming one more championship. The university is going to put that championship all over their record books and trophy room.

Before the BCS polls, if you can give me an instance were LSU turned down either AP or UPI, just because they split, that would be impressive. If this has never happened to you (split), it certainly has for the Alabamas, Ohio States, USCs, Oklahomas, and Notre Dames of the world.

Speaking of 1962, Bama won the "Billingsly" poll as National Champions. We don't count that one either.

6. red55

You miss the point completely. I'll try to use small words.

Before the BCS there were dozens and dozens of polls, each full of the biases that polls have. Some had more respect than others (AP, UPI, etc.), but there was no formal system of selecting the teams to compete for the national championship. It was always someone's opinion. What really meant something in those days was consensus between the polls. If a team won 15 polls then the teams that only won a poll or two could be exposed as near-misses. The problem became that not all polls lined up behind the AP. Often there were legitimate splits of opinion in 2 or 3 ways. Mulitple claims for championships abounded.

But the BCS made all of that history by instituting a system agreed on by all members to rank the teams for a championship game between #1 and #2 for the championship. It finally did the job of eliminating split championships. That is the point, amigo. The AP poll is meaningless since the advent of the BCS rankings. Auburn finished #3 in the rankings with the same record as the teams in the game, missed out by a hair and must live with it. USC finished #3 in the rankings and missed out by a hair and they must live with it, too.

It simply doesn't matter if the AP or the Opelika News ranks them as #1 because, in their opinion, USC/Auburn should have been in the game and might have won it. The fact is that none of the polls, including the AP, mean a damn thing anymore in selecting a National Champion. If you didn't win the BCS championship game, you ain't the champion.

There have been and can be no split national championships since the advent of the BCS. None. Never. No exceptions.

7. TUSKtimes

The AP poll is meaningless since their decision to withdraw from the BCS process, after the 2003 split championships.

Back in the day, I always thought the AP, and little friends carried a little more validity then UPI and their little friends. But the UPI trophy looked a whole lot better than "we're #2." In 03, USC feels the same way about their winnings.

8. red55

No that was just their recognition that they no longer mattered. :lol:

It doesn't matter what they think. If they were not in the national championship game, then they ain't the champions. You can talk all day but it won't put half a crystal football in their trophy case.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Louisiana / Alabama
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Louisiana / Alabama
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Good call.

10. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

There were no "Official National Champions" pre BCS.