OK Auburn fans. What happened?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SouthLink02, Aug 31, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

USC kept using a lot of zone blitzes. I am sure with Carroll as the head coach and defensive coordinator these blitzes were a lot better disguised, designed, and executed than most college zone blitzes.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I went to the game, and boy was it hard for me not to chuckle. Most people are saying offensive line play and play calling, which I would put together. I think the plays called were not such that Campbell was put in position to do his job when there were USC men in the backfield. USC blitzed a lot, and there was almost always a man open because of it, but Campbell got confused by the stunts and never saw the open man. There were WAY too many single back sets in my opinion. When you have the 4 backs that they have, plus a blocker like Brandon Johnson, you should have at least one HB, and the FB. Had Brandon Johnson been in every play the first half, I think Campbell would have completed more passes, and the running game would have been more successful. I think one of the reasons the stats look like they didnt run the ball enough is because they rarely ever got a first down. There were more 3 and outs then I could count, and most times, they were dealing with 2nd and 7 or 8, and 3rd and 8 or 9. Give USC's defense credit, they didnt allow those 5 yard first down gains to Carnell.

Campbell only threw one INT, but he did also fumble once. Also He threw a bullet complete to Ben Obomanu who got hit by a truck and fumbled. I think those were their 3 turnovers.

So here is my recap. USC has an outstanding defense. Im not too sure of their offense, but their receivers are superstars. Auburn still has an average QB at best, and their recievers are ok. I wasnt impresses with Obomanu or Aromashadu, but Courtney Taylor is the whole package. This guy is good. I dont know if Auburns O-line just wasnt good or instead overmatched by a VERY good USC D-line. Auburns defense was pretty good. They were just put in bad situations the entire game. USC's average starting field position was rediculous. Of course, the USC punter did boom a couple, one I remember going 70 yards. All in all, I think Auburn is still good, and most everything I saw that went wrong, is correctable. We'll see if Campbell gets better at reading those blitzes.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Like LSU last year, Auburn has to have a downfield passing game or the defense will just stack the line and stop the running game. I don't care how deep it is.

Auburn has time to develop a passing game, but like LSU at VT last year, if you open against a ranked opponent, you may not get away with a weakness.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I'd say Mobile Bengal summed it up about perfectly . .

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How long you gonna hang on to that sig pic?

6. CrouchingTigers

CrouchingTigers Freshman

For anyone who followed the Trojans last year, it should not be a surprise as to how good they are. They might play in the Sugar Bowl. That doesn't excuse their total domination of the Tigers' offensive line or failure of the coaches to adjust.

Without a doubt, the USC game quieted the hype and sent a reality check that none could have missed. There are also a number of very talented SEC teams yet to be dealt with including LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas and Alabama.

The Tigers have tremendous talent and I am confident that Auburn will rebound and have a good season. It wouldn't be wise to count them out of the SEC race just yet. War Eagle!

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

crouchingtiger

Last week, all I heard from you was the NC race, this week your talking, dont count us out of the SEC race. It just took a very well prepared opponent to show you what level your really playing on. Which is not a top 5 program. I was hoping you were coming to Red Stick undefeated. I like the spoiler role alot better than being so over hyped that even joe auburn fan thinks they won the national championship and never even started the season yet.

8. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

dhead,

We played terrible and unless something drastic happens, we're out of the NC race. So yes, we're talking about the SEC race now. But if I were you, I'd wait until you beat us to talk a lot of smack. The initials of the team that beat us on Saturday were USC. Unless they have a branch campus in Louisiana, you have nothing to brag about right now.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

What? I couldn't understand that last comment? Might want to put a lid on the smack talk until you get your faces out of the dirt and wipe off the blood.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We won our game, amigo.