OK, here goes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chipeace, Nov 23, 2003.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Broussard seems to be our bruiser, but we really don't have a back that is automatic for one yard. Not yet. Vincent was hot yesterday and Nick gave him the ball. There will be games when Broussard has the hot hand and he will get the PT. Addai looked good in his carries, but Shyrone isn't 100% yet, by the looks of it. Depth at running back is a blessing.

I missed the tight end in the passing game, but Jimbo seems to know his business. Perhaps Ole Miss was prepared for the tight end pass and Jimbo exploited some other part of their defense. Perhaps they needed him to help block the surprisingly effective Ole Miss defense. We will see the tight end pass again this season.

It's difficult to keep up intensity for an entire season. There are games where we aren't hitting on all cylinders. There was a time when LSU showed up with its "B" game that it was a sure loss. Now we know LSU can beat a ranked team with its "B" game. With our "A" game, LSU can beat anybody.

2. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

About sitting out QBs so they can see what is going on:

I don't see how it could hurt. LSU used to do this with Hodson and Guidry; I remeber Hodson struggling one game and Guidry cam in and led us to a TD on a drive---Hodson was put in the next drive and played a great game from there on. I think Arnsparger would send in Guidry for one drive a half at times; I was young but that is what i remember

3. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

or fumble it three to four times.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think putting in the backup quarterback for a drive regularly is a good thing, so that one has a tested and experienced backup for that sad occasion when the starter gets injured. But you have to do it when the starter is playing well and is up by a score or more.

Putting in the backup when the starter is having an off game is a very bad idea. It kills the starter's confidence if he has to come back in. Rarely does the backup have all of the tools needed to run the offense as effectively as the starter.

The only time I can remember LSU having such a duo was when Ensminger and Woodley were playing. Cholly Mac used a two-quarterback scheme that saw them both getting approximately equal playing time. But those QB's were both starter material -- we don't get that talent combination very often.

Mauck did not lose his confidence even after 3 interceptions and his coach did not lose confidence in him either. I did not want to see the backup in this game. But we could have put him in for a first-half drive in some of the blowout games.

5. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Agreed!!!!:geaux::lsug: