OKC Close to landing the Sonics

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Mr. Peabody, Mar 25, 2008.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

if it makes you feel any better, i was one of the ones that lectured people about how the city should not take advantage of new orleans after katrina by trying to do anything more other than be temporary hosts. i got pretty in your face. but the majority of people i talked to (as i said) werent that way. but it seems like only negative and controversial gets the news coverage.

thanks. ill take the luck.

2. OkieTigerTK

i think a lot of that was more along the lines of some of the powers that be trying to get a team than season ticket holders or other "fans".

i have long NOT been a fan of the mayor of okc, and i was disgusted by some of his tactics. but i did not see his mindset being that of the majority.

3. Carface

Carface What the...?

Honestly, though, I heard the Sonics story and felt a bit of relief. All I've heard over here since Katrina is that the Hornets are as good as gone because the city could not support more than one professional franchise. Even during this season there were early threats of the team picking up and leaving for another city. With the Sonics likely heading to OKC, I finally feel a little safe. I'll feel even better once Shinn works out the deal with the city to keep them there for the next ten years, regardless of the attendance benchmark (which they are very close to meeting anyways).

The main question for me now is what is the yodel lady going to do? Will her loyalties be split?

http://blog.nola.com/mariamontoya/2008/03/hornets_superfan_elisa_cossey.html

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what do you think would happen the minute they are simply an average team again?

im guessing as long as paul is healthy that wont be the issue--i hope.

5. clair

clair Rockets

the best thing that can happen to attendance in my honest opinion is 2-3 1st round losses.

The reason the Saints are so beloved in Louisiana in New Orleans is because people want to "be there" when they broke through and won the big one.

It would be no different with the Hornets.

They have to either win the championship or become lovable (on the cusp) losers.

Either way, as long as they have CP3, thye will compete. Better hope the Bobcats don't come a callin' in a few years, though.

6. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Oh Hush Clair, you just want TMac to get to the 2nd... :p

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i guess i know why its happening, but besides Seattle what is the biggest market without a team that OKC bypassed? St Louis? probably one of the upandcomers like ElPaso or Vegas.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

sadly, i initially thought it said OKC close to landing a sonic. :lol:

okie would be happier about that I think.

9. OkieTigerTK

chili cheese coneys anyone??:grin:

10. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I am a bad person...

When I saw they might leave the name the Sonics behind..

The first thing that came to my head was "The Oklahoma City Bombers."