Oklahoma Notes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Domanick, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Domanick

Domanick Founding Member

As I've said before, I also follow Texas in addition to LSU, and because of that I've seen about 8 or 9 games with Oklahoma this season. For anyone who hasn't seen that much of OU except for the box scores, here are some things you might want to know on how to beat this team.

1.) Pressure the QB. Constantly. OU's best game all year was the game vs. UT, and it's because Texas sat back in zone coverage. OU doesn't any receiver with the size or playmaking ability of Michael Clayton, but they have at least four that are all extremely disciplined and focused route-runners and if you give White time, he'll find someone, no matter the coverage.

As far as Saturday, I know the OU offensive line was manhandled. But that was not indicative of how they played the other 12 games. You may need to send more blitzers, but be careful and disguise it; White's smart enough to know where to throw the ball if he knows where the pressure is coming from. Furthermore, even if he gets the ball off, hit him. Let him know that you're coming in force. It's taken him off his game at times.

2.) Big plays. Never assume with Bob Stoops. Remember the 4th and inches against K-State at the end of the first half? Instead of taking the automatic first down, he goes playaction and looks over the top, and they have a man wide open for a TD but White overthrows the ball. You have to be disciplined and ready for anything... if you're a linebacker, you have to trust the front four to do their job, and to not be in a position where you can't recover.

Also, in almost every big game I've ever seen Oklahoma play, Stoops will pull out a fake punt or fake field goal or something really sneaky. And what makes it work is that he'll do it at the times when all the momentum is against them and you think there's no way they could pull it off. Again, don't assume and be alert.

3.) Playaction and screens. OU has a great, great defense. They always have. But what makes them so great is Stoops' aggressive personality, and if you have the right personnel you can use it against them. The best games that showed this are Kansas State from Saturday and Oklahoma State from 2002. They're always, always going for blood, and if they think they're going to make a big play, they'll go for it. That's why middle screens, esp. with a back as fast as Vincent, can catch them offguard. If they see a lane to the QB, they'll take it, and there's a chance they'll leave the back by himself.

Same thing with playaction. They're playmakers. If you can run the ball somewhat successfully and get them thinking about the run, you can get single coverage over the top. The key is having the recievers to make plays in those one on one situations, and Clayton and Henderson can hopefully do that.

now, things not to do...

1.) Toss sweeps outside. Once in a while to keep them off balance, maybe, but you guys will not believe the speed of these linebackers... it's remarkable. Again, you have to take advantage of their aggressiveness with misdirections, fake reverses, etc. and hit them up the middle. Tommie Harris gets a lot of hype, but he is not all that great of a player - you can run up the middle of that defense if you're successful in other areas.

In fact, what might help the run game is for Mauck to keep it a couple of times early in the game and sell the OU defense on the fact that Mauck might hold the ball.

2.) All run or all pass. I don't care if the pass or run is working, you have to keep it balanced for this team. This defense is too fast and too strong to do the same thing at over and over again. The key to beating them is to play off their aggressiveness and to keep them off-balance - regardless of what the KSU score may indicate, there is no "weak spot" of the OU defense like there is for most teams. It's all about formulating a great offensive gameplan.

3.) Don't throw the ball away. Take sacks if you have to. The secondary for OU is the best part of their defense - they're all very fast, good in coverage and they all have great hands. They're playmakers. Mauck can't force balls like he did against Ole Miss... if he's about to get sacked, either throw it well away or take the sack. Don't try and fit it into a small area - not only might it be batted away, but with their secondary I'll bet it gets intercepted.

4.) (defense) Don't bite on playaction. OU loves to go playaction and get a WR in single coverage down the middle of the field. Don't bite. LSU has the best front four in the country, and the OU running game has almost been non-existant in games against better opponents. Let them do their jobs and think about the pass, because usually, it's coming.

I know some of you didn't make it through the post, and obviously this isn't everything, but these are just a few of the things I've been thinking of while stuck at work. :) For anyone who doesn't know OU that well, hopefully this will help.

P.S. another thing I forgot to add is that it's the speed backs that generally give OU trouble, not the power backs. That's why you'll see that historically, for example, Darren Sproles has had better numbers against OU than Cedric Benson. I think it's because they're much bigger "home run" threats on these screens and draws. This should play out well for LSU with Vincent and the rest.

anyone else with some very early keys to the matchup?

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Here's a question I've asked on an OU board:

What the hell happened to the offensive line of OU? Did KSU do something special scheme-wise? Injuries play a part?

Seriously, White will get both of those bad knees and his neck broken for good measure if they can't hold their blocks better than they did against K State.

3. donut2001

donut2001 Founding Member

I think we need to be careful of them using the formula Kstate used on them, on us. Because our defense is the same, very fast and get after you, so we need to be careful and not bite on play action as you said, and the defense needs to stay home and contain. if we make them one dimensional, we win, hands down, anytime you dont have a run game against us this year you are throwing interceptions from forcing it, see the SEC champ. and on offense you are right on I think, put in some new wrinkles, and run the ball, but use the same gameplan as against Georgia on offense, give them lots of looks with all of our backs, then go deep when they are drawn up.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good post Domanick. I think LSU will definitely use a balanced attack and they use misdirection plays all of the time. The SEC is a speedy conference. LSU has speed on offense and defense.

Nick only uses the trick plays when he's pretty damn sure its going to work, that is when he has spotted something to exploit.

For once, LSU has the depth to play hard for 60 minutes. I haven't heard a lot about Oklahoma's depth, I just assume its there.

LSU is also very healthy with no major injuries on the first and second teams. How is Oklahoma, health-wise?

5. Domanick

Domanick Founding Member

I'm wondering the same thing, Tejas.

Kansas State didn't do any specific scheme that I picked up on - but the thing about Kansas State's DL is that they are smaller guys that are extremely quick, a big difference from most of the Big 12. I can't think of another DL Oklahoma played that was as quick as KSU (the UT defensive line is more big than it is quick), and maybe they struggle with speed rushers. If true, that would really play into LSU's favor...

as far as health, OU doesn't have any recent major injuries. They lost one of their linebackers (All-American Lance Mitchell) for the season, but that was back in October, so they've had time to regroup...