OL Xavier Su'a Filo

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Re: Xavier Su'a Filo

Latest quote from Xavier and of course Shepard Russell's name came up. Sounds like we might be in good shape with this kid. This stuff just never ceases to amaze me...

2. jgordey3

jgordey3 Founding Member

does anyone want an over-under on how many recruits shep helps us get?

I'll put it at ten

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'll put the number at 4.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

He's helping us with every recruit. Some of them we would land regardless, and he won't be single-handedly getting any recruits for us, but he sure isn't hurting our chances with a lot of top guys.

I'm just very glad he's a part of this class. :thumb:

5. islstl

LSU still very much in it, although I still see him going out west.

6. islstl

Looks like a 50/50 LSU vs him staying our West.

Interesting battle brewing.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

http://stanford.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=895375

""My first visit was to LSU," he said. "Some of the pros there are that I get along real well with the some of the guys on the team. They've been good to me. I've talked to the left tackle, Ciron Black, about him leaving and me possibly coming in. He's been really friendly.

"I actually turn 18 [on Thursday], so I turn 19 a year from now. That would leave me with one year of being able to play before I went on my mission. That makes the possibility of immediate playing time a pretty big deal to me. I'd already be sitting out for two years while on my mission, so three would just be a long time.

An aspect of his life that is very important to Su'a Filo is his Mormon faith. A common practice in the church is for males to be sent on a two year mission at the age of 19. He says he is unsure if he will be going on a mission but is very open to the possibility.

"Obviously at Utah and BYU, there is a large community of Polynesians and LDS members," he said. "At the California schools, there are quite a few. When I visited LSU, not so many. I think they had one Polynesian kid on the team.""

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That is the reason I have always said we can't assume he won't count toward the numbers in this class. Looks like almost a lock to count this year if he goes on a mission or not.

Filo is having a very hard time deciding to stay close to home or not. I would guess he will decide to stay close to home in the end but LSU is giving him strong reasons to second guess himself.

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

This kid is kidding himself if he thinks he will come in and start as a true freshman only to leave for 3 years. I know Black started as a freshman although I'm not positive if he redshirted, but we have too much OL depth for Su'a Filo to start next year. If that is a big deal for the kid I don't think he will come here. He would also be hard pressed to start as a true freshman at most big time schools, but maybe he doesn't understand that or is being told differently by unscruptulous recruiters.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

He may get that chance at BYU and I assume they have been telling him he could do so. Hence, another big reason why it would be hard to leave home.